PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion Required - Canon Wildlife Lens Purchase

Mashiur Rahman
05-02-2013, 07:30 PM
Hello,

I am planning to start up with Wildlife photography and currently only have an EF-S 18-55 IS-II Lens on a Canon 600d body.

I would like to purchase any one of the following two Canon Lenses and hence would request your advice on the same. I have listed down some of the pros/cons which I could understand from the various discussion forums / websites:-

1. EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS-II
Pros:-
a. Low Price (CanonIndia Website Price - Rs. 17,995.00, Kolkata Grey Market Price - Rs. 10,500.00)
b. Image Stabilization
Cons:-
a. Poor Image Quality compared to EF 70-200 f/4 L
b. Variable Aperture (max aperture of f/4 at 55mm to f/5.6 at 250mm)

2. EF 70-200 f/4 L IS USM
Pros:-
a. Very Good Image Quality
b. Image Stabilization
c. Silent Focus
d. Fixed Aperture
e. L Series
Cons:-
a. High Price (CanonIndia Website Price - Rs. 89,995.00, Kolkata Grey Market Price - Rs. 65,000.00)

There are a few questions that are coming up are as follows:-
1. Will the 200/250 focal length be OK for wildlife photography considering myself as a starter and the crop factor of my DSLR?
2. Can 600d get proper performance out of the L series lenses or do I need to go for EF-S lenses only?
3. I suppose it is not suggested to buy from Grey Market, but if I did so I know I will not get the warranty, but will Canon India support me in case I face some issues with the Lens by charging me on the service?
4. In case I go for an extender:-
a. 1.4X will provide me a focal length of 98-280 but will reduce the max aperture by 1-stop to f/5.6
b. 2X will provide me a focal length of 140-400 but will reduce the max aperture by 2-stop to f/8
Can I use this reduced speed in Wildlife photography?
5. Need suggestions on where in Kolkata I can get these lens under CannonIndia Warranty and with some discount.

Thanks,
Mashiur Rahman

Sabyasachi Patra
06-02-2013, 12:54 PM
You have to have the distinction between cheap and value for money. Buy the best even if that means you stretch yourself a little bit more. However, you should remember that good lenses retain their value over a period of time.

Ignore the EF-S 55-250 lens. In safari's if an elephant is close to you then you can get it in that lens. In wildlife photography you need longer focal lengths. The 55-250 neither has the focal length for serious photography nor has the quality.

The 70-200 f4 L IS USM lens is good if the subject is close by. It can take 1.4x TC and work well. However, you haven't considered the cost of the 1.4x TC.

Rather than buying the 70-200 f4 L IS USM and a converter, it is better that consider the 100-400 f3.5-5.6 L IS USM lens. It has the zoom range to help you in clicking a wide variety of subjects in typical safari conditions. However, you should remember that in wildlife photography and especially in bird photography, then no amount of long lens is enough.

The L series lenses of Canon denote quality and will fit into your 600D. You will not find long telephoto lenses in EF-S. You will find primarily wide angle and some intermediate lenses in the EF-S mount. Stick to L series lenses. These L series lenses retain their value for many years. The Canon India website will quote the MRP. The retail price will be lower. So check at many dealers.

If you buy from grey market, then there will be no warranty. So if there is a problem, then you have to pay and get it rectified from the Canon India service centre in Kolkata. They normally charge about 2.5k just to check your lens and if there is any part change, then you have to pay for it.