PDA

View Full Version : Great Indian Hornbill Call

Murugan Anantharaman
14-02-2013, 01:05 PM
While driving from Ganpatipule to Ratnagiri I noticed a pair of hornbills flying over. Much against the wishes of my friends and family, I changed the course of my car and followed the 2 birds. They then perched on a cell phone signal tower. Was quite high but I could manage to record their call on my Blackberry. Converted from amr to mp3 online and amplified using grab-tube. I was standing by the road hence other disturbances may be heard. It almost seems similar to a donkey braying.

Mrudul Godbole
17-02-2013, 09:17 PM
The call is audbile. Wish there was less background noise. Nice recording. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
17-02-2013, 09:27 PM
Nice to hear this. It is not easy to record in the phones and avoid disturbance. Just ensure that nobody moves or talks when you are recording. I am even spending the entire night in the forest to record sound when other human beings are happily sleeping in the rest house. :)

Nevertheless, it is important to record these calls with whatever recording equipment is at hand, so that we have a record and it also helps in spreading awareness.

Roopak Gangadharan
18-02-2013, 10:41 AM
Nice record Murugan. Your post today sort of calirified it . this is the Pied hornbills call. Im not sure if the great indian hornbill has a similar call, but what ive heard is different... the typical one is a Tok..Tok emitted at a regular interval there is also a duet which the pair emits.

TFS
Roopak

Abhishek Jamalabad
24-08-2013, 12:21 PM
Nice. Great hornbills do occur in that region, but these are pied hornbills. I've heard a kind of deep hoarse grunting call from great hornbills, not sure if they're capable of shrill calls like these :).