PDA

View Full Version : Tigress in the grass

Kaustuv Chatterjee
25-02-2013, 03:55 PM
Part of the sighting of 4 Telia sisters (approx 17 mths of age) with a huge wild boar kill early morning 15th Feb, this is of one of the sisters relaxing in the grass after her meal....after seeing this one appreciates how well they blend in with their surroundings.

Shot with the Nikon D90, Nikkor 70-300mm, at 300mm, ISO500, 1/60s - F/5.6

Mrudul Godbole
25-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Nice display of habitat. Wish the grass was not blocking the eye. Some more sharpness would have been good. Was this clicked from moving gypsy or were there lot of people in it? Maybe increasing the ISO further would have helped. Thanks for sharing.

Kaustuv Chatterjee
26-02-2013, 07:29 AM
Hi Mrudul, thanks. This was taken from a jeep among 10 other jeeps jostling for space and a clear line of sight on the narrow track in Telia (on the way to Telia lake). This is a 30% crop. I have been disappointed with the D90's ISO performance above 800...quite a bit of sharpness is lost in low light, hence was trying with as low an ISO I could manage. It was early dawn. Yes wish too I'd got the eye in the clear.

Sabyasachi Patra
26-02-2013, 12:43 PM
The camouflage of the tiger's stripes will be more evident if we see it in black and white, as do many of its prey animals.

I agree that D90 doesn't have good ISO performance. Nikon D4 or Canon. :) And if you want to film, pay 13 odd lakhs and take the C300. :D There is no end to the equipment purchase madness. :)