PDA

View Full Version : Gaur

Roopak Gangadharan
01-03-2013, 09:00 PM
Saw this ageing gaur with a herd of females close by on the ghat road which connects Irrity in north kerala to Coorg in sep 2011.There was no road left here and there is no traffic, the birding is good. It didnot bother to move inspite of spotting the vehicle and kept chewing and we left him at peace. Usually the larger and older males are found alone as they will be thrown out of the herd by the fitter and younger males. But this one seemed to be holding on to his herd.

500D, 55-250, 84mm, AE, f6.3, ISO 200, SS 1/200 -0.7EC

Rgds
Roopak

Sabyasachi Patra
01-03-2013, 10:37 PM
Nice to see this old gentleman. Are there any tigers there?

Mrudul Godbole
03-03-2013, 03:26 PM
Looks like a huge bull. Nice to see it peacefully sitting and chewing. I had not seen any Gaurs sitting before. The blacks look nice and shiny. Good details. Thanks for sharing.

Saktipada Panigrahi
04-03-2013, 11:48 PM
Why this grand old gentleman be thrown out, Roopak Bhai ? He is not bold and young now, he is not competing with any healthy master bull.

The old lone bull is truly solitary, though at times it may keep company with another lone bull.
An old gaur is respected by the herd, I have read ; may be because they do not forget the contribution he made yesterday.They do not belong to the our civilised society !

The image takes me back to my first sighting of Indian Bison, in Palamau NP in early seventies in night safari.Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Roopak Gangadharan
05-03-2013, 09:18 PM
Patra sab this is part of the Brahmagiri wildlife sanctuary and is belived to have a small tiger population.

Shaktida I agree that an old gaur will get more respect from the herd and infact from all the denziens of the jungle than from the crazy human race.

Rgds
Roopak

Suraj Sreedhar
08-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Nice to see him resting peacefully................Nice image
Tfs

Murugan Anantharaman
12-03-2013, 01:49 PM
Nice image Roopak. He does look at peace with himself. Thanks for sharing.