PDA

View Full Version : Flights of Fancy!

Abhishek Jamalabad
01-03-2013, 09:25 PM
Hello everyone,
I was away on an 8-day Arabian Sea scientific expedition (into international waters) and just got back a couple of days ago. Will take a while to complete some pending work before getting back to the forums, but here's one image for a starter...

Shot this Flying Fish somewhere around a hundred-odd nautical miles from the Maharashtra coast. Flying fish use their enormously modified fins like the wings of a glider to take to the air. Some flying fish have been known to achieve non-stop flights lasting up to 45 seconds!

Canon EOS 500D, Canon 100mm Macro USM
SS 1/800
Av 3.5
ISO 800
Some noise reduction done in LightRoom.
For the record, the saturation is untouched :).
Large crop. Using a longer lens however, would have significantly reduced my field of vision.

Thanks, C&C welcome. More coming up after a while...

Bibhav Behera
02-03-2013, 11:35 AM
Wow! Almost looks like a digital painting. Lovely wing/fin spread. Wouldn't mind seeing this as the image of the Month. Thanks for sharing.

Mrudul Godbole
02-03-2013, 03:35 PM
Wow amazing capture. Quite lucky to sight and photograph it with the fin spread. It does look like a painting. The vertical composition looks nice. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
06-03-2013, 10:04 PM
Lovely. This actually looks like a painting. If you had created this image in full frame then this would have been really amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Dr Ajay Kumar Singh
07-03-2013, 02:53 PM
Very nice image and great capture. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful and amazing creature. Remembering the scene of "life of pi" when suddenly these creatures started flying from one direction and hitting the boat.

Roopak Gangadharan
09-03-2013, 12:26 PM
Super image Abhishek. Agree looks surreal and painting like. the highlight for me is the angle from which you got this shot and subject of course.

TFS
Roopak