PDA

View Full Version : Bird Behaviour: Mobbing

AB Apana
23-06-2009, 08:44 AM
Indian Roller (Coracias benghalensis), mobbing Short-toed Snake Eagle (Circaetus gallicus).

Shot this the other day. Although I shoot in a burst, this is the only image. Nope, its not a cut and paste job, I have the RAW file ;-)

'Mobbing' is a noisy, obvious form of behaviour that birds engage in to defend themselves or their offspring from predators.'

From the RSPB. Read the full article here:

http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/watchingbirds/behaviour/mobbing.asp

Add your mobbing pictures here.

Apana

Mrudul Godbole
23-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Hi Apana,

Thats a nice behaviour photographed. The eagle is sharp. I have seen Lapwings displaying similar behaviour to protect thier eggs or young ones.

Thanks for sharing..

Sabyasachi Patra
29-06-2009, 02:24 PM
I am enclosing an image of a lapwing chasing off a mongoose. This was in Bandipur National Park. There was some elephant dung and this mongoose was foraging on it. Probably the lapwing had its chicks there so it chased it off. It even flew and appeared like a bomber diving and bombing its target.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Abhishek Jamalabad
29-06-2009, 03:08 PM
Interesting how even small birds dare to chase away big ones when guarding their chicks. My Dad had been to Tadoba recently and got a video of a lapwing chasing away a c. serpent eagle that had come for a drink.