PDA

View Full Version : gaumukh glacier

Chitrita Chatterjee
12-03-2013, 01:36 PM
a picture of Gaumukh- the source of the ganges..

Mrudul Godbole
12-03-2013, 02:10 PM
Nice to see you posting after a long time :).
Beautiful landscape. Nice composition with the river leading the eye towards the peaks. Just a bit more brightness would be good. Thanks for sharing.

Murugan Anantharaman
12-03-2013, 02:34 PM
Lovely image of Gaumukh. When was this image taken? Doesnt look like it was taken this year, not sure of the route is open yet. Even if it was there's hardly any snow. Its a lovely trek from Gangotri to Gaumukh. Thanks for sharing.

Chitrita Chatterjee
13-03-2013, 10:34 AM
Thanks, Mrudul. I realized that despite hvng traveled a fair bit, i have not posted any pics here lately. :) The lack of brightness can be attributed to a cloudy day - you can see the coloud build up behind the Bhagirathi peaks...
Arumugam, this pic was taken in oct '12. went there for a trek- the route should open up again around May (Closes on Diwali, after the aarti at the Ganga Temple)
This was a trip that I had wanted to take since I was a child.. :) It was very very special...

Sabyasachi Patra
16-03-2013, 09:01 PM
Chitrita wanted to go to gaumukh so badly that when others in the group dropped out, she just decided to go there alone. I think we have no excuse of not visiting places anymore. How is the garbage disposal there? Is the place ok or desecrated by tourists?

Chitrita Chatterjee
18-03-2013, 10:48 AM
Your are right, Sabyasachi. Gaumukh taught me that if there is a will there is a way... to your question reg garbage disposal- I was pleasantly surprised at the strong vigilance by the locals- they abs do NOT allow any littering by tourists- obviously tht comes from the locals not littering the place themselves in the 1st place. The bank of the ganga is pristine, clean, icy and wild- just how any Indian would want to see Ma Ganga- Hats off to the local municipal corp and the army (beyond Gangotri the area comes under the army)the trek till Bhojbasa, and then to Gaumukh is a stunner... Go for it-- and for any interested in being accompanied, I am all set for another trip-- this time to Tapovan- a 2 hr trek beyond Gaumukh...

Chitrita Chatterjee
18-03-2013, 10:50 AM
http://awanderingaesthete.blogspot.in/2012/10/ganga-aaye-kahan-se-ganga-jaaye-kahan-re.html?view=magazine
had done a short write up on my trip... might help those that are interested in visiting the area...