PDA

View Full Version : Twig mimicking spider

Prajwal J Ullal
21-03-2013, 02:06 PM
During my recent visit to Mangalore I came across this strange insect, close to 3inches long(from body to tail tip) weaving a web. Unfortunately there wasnt any strong light source, at the night, so couldnt get a good and clear image. Had taken this image with torch light from mobile on one hand and trying manual focusing using one and half hand(juggling between holding the flash light and focus ring). After several attempts finally got this image, though couldnot get the main body's details.
Initially I thought the spider was holding something long, but later after close observation realized it was a whole single thing. The tail was very similar to any centipede kind of texture and the insect had the tendency of stalling and freezing into like a stick insect whenever I used to contact it or its web while taking pics.

EXIF
Canon EOS 550D
Canon 18-55 IS
f-4.5
Shutterspeed 1/125
ISO 100
InBuilt flash used
Place: Babbukatte, Mangalore

Unfortunately I completely forgot about the insect in the morning, or could have managed to get clearer shots, in case it hadnt left the web that it was busy building while taking this picture

Mrudul Godbole
21-03-2013, 03:08 PM
Oh very interesting find. Didn't see this one before. The tail is quite peculiar. You have managed to capture it well, in spite of the juggling with the torch. Nice record. Thanks for sharing.

Abhishek, please help us with the id and any information about this species. Thanks.

Sabyasachi Patra
23-03-2013, 12:03 PM
This is interesting. Wish you had someone to help with the light.

Abhishek Jamalabad
07-04-2013, 05:50 PM
Prajwal, can you provide the approx. length of the creature and any shots from other angles?

Prajwal J Ullal
09-04-2013, 02:10 PM
Abhishek, its was close to 3 inches long, unfortunately cudnt get better images due to low light. The tail seemed to be slimy

Prajwal J Ullal
15-12-2014, 02:57 PM
Abhishek finally got the details of this mysterious spider. Its supposed to be twig mimicing spider. Atleast this link mentions it so http://www.wired.com/2013/07/weirdest-spiders-ever/#slideid-591500

Abhishek Jamalabad
15-12-2014, 09:27 PM
Nice work. It's been some time since I saw this thread :). Yes, Ariamnes flagellum ​is found in India.