PDA

View Full Version : Bulbul Babies

Sagar Patil
26-06-2009, 08:45 PM
This photo taken with Nokia N73, so IQ may be down.

A new borne Red Vented Bulbul's baby opening beak to get feed by its parents.

There are 3 babies. Both male and female were gathering food for them.

Mrudul Godbole
26-06-2009, 09:44 PM
Beautiful.Thats quite rare to get such small chicks photographs.Even with the N73, the colours and details are good. How did you manage to take it? Thanks for sharing..

Rajan Kanagasabai
27-06-2009, 08:54 AM
Agree with Mrudul, Amazing shots, especially given the fact that this was done on a N73. I am sure, as a seasoned pro, you have taken ample care to ensure the privacy and the ecological balance of the nest and nesting sites are not disturbed.

However, wanted to use this opportunity to highlight the importance of "Nesting Photography Ethics" which is fast gaining popularity and is a hot topic of discussion in quite a few other forums. In fact, one of the recent posts in another forum, directed me to a site the contents of which i shall post in the Conservation section.

This is in no way taking away the credit for an awesome shot of Sagar from a photography angle. It is indeed a rare one, but only wanted to make sure that we take care while photographing roosting colonies, nests and chicks.

regards
Rajan

AB Apana
27-06-2009, 11:12 AM
While bulbuls are remarkably tolerant, one should ensure that you use the longest lens possible to avoid disturbing the wildlife.

Apana

Rakesh Dhareshwar
27-06-2009, 01:52 PM
I dont mean to be rude , But I do not appreciate the shot . The reason is that whatever care you would have taken .... it does induce other people to take such shots and maybe without care. I would rather , that such pics are not posted .

Aditya Panda
27-06-2009, 02:09 PM
Please delete this image Sagar. By principle nest photography is banned except for scientific/conservation reasons. On India Wilds and most other forums nest images are not allowed. Please delete this immediately, it sets a bad example. A nesting bird should NOT be disturbed in any way. Period.

No offence.

Regards,
Aditya

Sagar Patil
27-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Hello Aditya & Rakesh,

I was not aware about nesting photography. This was purely my first attempt. I photographed them with due care because I love wild life and conserve it.
Hence forth I won't attempt such things.

Please don't think that I posted this photo to show photographic skills but to show new borne baby details like wings, size etc.

I regret if I have spoiled rules of Indiawilds.com.

Mrudul Godbole
27-06-2009, 04:42 PM
Sagar,

I have removed the other close up photograph you had posted. It is good that you are now aware about nesting photography.

Everyone thanks for pointing this out.

Sabyasachi Patra
27-06-2009, 06:05 PM
Sagar,
You were successful in your attempt in going closer. However, I just don't appreciate it.

Nesting images are generally frowned upon as most often we move too close to the nest and the mother just discards the nest and the babies. No image is more important than the welfare of the subject.

Also, I know of photographers who cut the branches infront of the nest to get a clear shot. That takes the cover away and the nest becomes vulnerable to predation. To all such photographers, I have a simple question. Will you cut a grass or branch just infront of a tigers face? if you can't do that because the tiger will not be too happy, then you should not do it with bird chicks as well.

And what gives me a shock is you did it with a N73. However, I know you are not the type who is trying to showcase. I guess you were not aware of the harm that can happen.

I was away and just came back, so yet to see Rajan's posting about ethics. We will discuss more of that in that thread.

I commented on this shot. However, I will remove it from public viewing.

Hope you understand the issue.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Sagar Patil
28-06-2009, 12:16 AM
Hi Sabyasachi and All,

Yes I agree with all of you and hence I confess the big mistake committed.
I truly respect what you have said about hazards of approaching nest or nesting bird.

To be a happy news from my grandma that both the parents of those babies are still looking after and feeding them.

I shot that just in front of my grandpa's bungalow which is surrounded well with flora. I also regret to be my 2nd mistake of shooting the shot off wild areas.

Rajan Kanagasabai
28-06-2009, 06:15 AM
Dear Sagar

It shows your greatness that you accept reality, have an open mind and are willing to learn. I have seen simple statements like these being blown out of proportions in other forums, just b'coz - No one wants to be proven wrong or immaturity in terms of accepting criticism.

We all learn from small mistakes like these and we never stop learning any time in life. If only people were as gracious as you are, life on earth would be a wonderful place to live in.

I don't know if you realise, you have now been the main stigma for learning, for quite a few forum folks on the subject on 'Photographing Nests, Chicks and roosting colonies'.

Let's all learn and keep learning together through Indiawilds.

regards
Rajan

Aditya Panda
28-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Dear Sagar,

Great to see that you've been a sport and have kept ethics above ego. Keep it up! Looking forward to more images and wildlife moments from you.

Cheers,
Aditya