PDA

View Full Version : Where have the Fireflies gone?

Paramvir Singh
18-04-2013, 01:22 PM
I havent seen a firefly for over 25 years now. Not in Kolkata, Pune, Mumbai, Palampur, Gurgaon, Coorg...

Has anyone here regularly spotted them?

Sabyasachi Patra
18-04-2013, 03:23 PM
Interestingly I saw one after a long gap on 3rd of April when it had entered my house in Delhi. I saw it in the night after the light was switched off.

We saw the fireflies again in Kaziranga last week in the night close to the resort. This time there were many fireflies.

I don't remember seeing them in the night in Kutch or Rajasthan or in Similipal etc in the last few months.

Roopak Gangadharan
19-04-2013, 01:11 PM
they are all over the place in kerala esp during begining of summmer and just after the monsoon. the largest swarm I saw recently was in muthanga ..

Rgds
Roopak

Paramvir Singh
20-04-2013, 08:43 AM
Its strange hat they seem to have disPpeared over most of northern India, maharashtra and bihar.

I grew up in Jamshedpur and used to see so many of them...

Perhaps its the indiscriminate use of pesticides by local municipalities.

Abhishek Jamalabad
20-04-2013, 06:07 PM
I have seen them recently in Maharashtra and parts of Karnataka. However, I haven't seen them in the huge swarms that once lit up entire trees.

Judy Weaver
16-09-2013, 11:17 PM
I use to see these fireflies in my childhood it's really cool thing, but now people are busy in there life schedule and don't have time for these kind of activities.