PDA

View Full Version : Giant Squirrel

Prajwal J Ullal
06-05-2013, 12:59 PM
During the recent trip to Matheran to enjoy some bird and floara watching we came across a distinctive call, while we were sitting at a birding spot. Interestingly, after 5-10mins, we could spot the source of the sound and it turned out to be this beauty, the Giant Squirrel. Because it was in a denser part of the greenery and relatively early in the morning I had to use higher ISO for getting a decent capture. It was too far off too from us, hence the resulting capture isnt very sharp image. Though I cud manage to record the call of this beauty

EXIF:
Canon EOS550D
Canon 55-250 IS

F-6.3
Shutterspeed 1/160
ISO 1600

Photo edited for noise reduction and close to 50% crop

Mrudul Godbole
06-05-2013, 01:24 PM
Nice sighting. Good that you got the eye in clear. The colour of the coat seems to be a bit lighter from the Malabar Giant Squirrel we sight in the south. Some more space at the bottom would be good as the long tail is touching the lower frame. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
06-05-2013, 03:46 PM
Good to see a Ratufa indica from matheran.

I agree that a wider composition would be better. A bit more brightness will also be good. These are pretty agile creatures jumping from branch to branch. It is always a treat to watch them. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Saktipada Panigrahi
07-05-2013, 06:40 AM
Good sighting. Nice pose. Photographed under very difficult conditions.Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild