PDA

View Full Version : Crested Bunting

Kiran Ghadge
29-06-2009, 11:12 AM
some of you might have already seen this on other forum, sorry for repost.

Shot this near Pune, Sinhagad valley.
Canon50d and Canon 100-400mm
ISO 200 and f 5.6

Sabyasachi Patra
29-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Kiran,
Lovely image. Nice eye contact. Good that you found it with food in its mouth :D I would crop a little bit from the right to remove the hint of the out of focus thing at the bottom. What was the shutter speed? I am not familiar with this species. Can you post some details about it. How much time you spent with this beauty?

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Kiran Ghadge
29-06-2009, 12:01 PM
thanks Sabaysachi....agree with your comments. I intentionally kept the lower leaves to show some environment and avoid another clean bg kind of image.... later realized image could have better without those leaves.
shutter speed info I will share soon. I am uable to see exif in the uploaded file, will see in original and post it soon.

was lucky to spend some 5-10 min. with this bird.

about bird :
Crested Bunting, 'Melophus Lathami' 15cm
A Dark bunting with high, pointed crest, Male blue-black withchestnut wings and tail. Female streaked brown and buff but also have chestnut in wings and tail
Calls a quiet chip, Monotonous Song
Habit : Inhabits bushy and grassy rocky slopes. Feed on seed on ground in pairs and small groups. Upright stance.Confiding and often perches high. Drink frequentl. Nests low down.

Ditribution : Locally common resident India, pakistan, China and SE Asia.

Rajan Kanagasabai
29-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Wow, thanks for sharing Kiran

One of the cleanest BG i've seen. Great sharpness. At ISO 200 and F5.6 if this is so sharp, i guess the SS has to be quite high (atleast in the 1000's). Lovely composition.

regards
Rajan

Kiran Ghadge
29-06-2009, 12:50 PM
thanks Rajan.. the clean bg is green trees in deep valley...was lucky to get this kind of bg.

Sagar Patil
29-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Lovely sharp and clear image Kiran.

Thanks for extra information about this bird.

Hope others will continue practice of extra information about species.

I think this is a small version of Greater Coucal (What you say?) :D

Mrudul Godbole
29-06-2009, 01:38 PM
Lovely colours and sharp image. Liked the composititon. I think you can keep the flowers at the bottom. Without any flowers the BG will look very bland. Just my view :). I had heard that Sinhagad is a great place for birding. You travel there frequently?

Look forward to more..

Kiran Ghadge
29-06-2009, 01:38 PM
Yes indeed.. Color scheme is very similar :)

Kiran Ghadge
29-06-2009, 02:08 PM
Lovely colours and sharp image. Liked the composititon. I think you can keep the flowers at the bottom. Without any flowers the BG will look very bland. Just my view :). I had heard that Sinhagad is a great place for birding. You travel there frequently?

Look forward to more..

thanks Mrudul....I too thought similarly when i kept the leaves and flower at the bottom of image.
Yes Valley is one of the great place for birding...and Yes depending on season I visit this place quite frequently...

Rahul Parekh
01-07-2009, 10:24 AM
wow!!! this is fantastic :) love it.....