PDA

View Full Version : Elephant v/s Tiger - Kabini

Praveen Siddannavar
10-06-2013, 08:38 AM
A tale of a thirsty sub adult tiger – It was an extremely hot afternoon at Kabini, we drove straight to Bisalwadi tank with a hope to see a tiger. Bisalwadi tank is a largest lake in Nagarahole forest and has enough water to sustain even during summers. We reached this place at about 4:20pm and stopped closer to the watch tower, the tigers mostly come from the other side of the lake that is over 500 mts from our view point. We patiently waited for a while and completely unnoticed that there was an elephant already in the lake, this is quite natural when one goes with an intention of seeing just a tiger. At about 4:35pm a sub adult tiger walks very casually from bushes to quench his thirst, coincidentally the tiger too was so thirsty and focused only to gulp water, he too never noticed the elephant in the lake that was cooling off.

Believe me we were seeing all this from a quite a distance and no tele-photo lenses can capture these moments at a closer range. My cousins and elder brother were happily watching this through a powerful binoculars and I through my 500mm tele-photo lens. The elephant wasn’t comfortable to have a tiger close by, in no time she charged at the tiger as seen in the image. The next series of shots were even more interesting as I managed to capture some record shots of tiger sprinting and taking long leaps while being chased by the elephant. The elephant didn’t give up and she chased this guy into the bushes and in flash returned. But now the elephant had enough of water so she chose to move away. This is another great natural history moment that I was lucky to document.

After about 10 mins the tiger was back again to the same spot and started drinking water and now he had enough time, he gulped few liters of water and gradually disappeared into the bushes. What a tough life these animals have in the forest, never easy even for the king of the jungle. Please excuse me for the low quality of image as mentioned this was shot from miles away. I will share few other moments of this high action packed drama until then enjoy this and stay tuned.

Camera - Canon 1D Mark IV, Canon f4 500mm
EXIF - ISO 800 Av 4 Tv 1/6400sec EC -0.3, large crop
p.s. I intentionally bumped up the ISO to get a super high shutter speed to freeze the action. My anticipation worked well:)
— at Rajiv Gandhi National Park, Nagarahole, Kabini.

Roopak Gangadharan
10-06-2013, 01:30 PM
Super rare moment praveen.I guess the tiger was still drinking when you clicked this and hasnt really acknowledged the elephant. It is once in a lifetime moment. you are really blessed. some more space on the right might look good.

TFS
Roopak

Saktipada Panigrahi
10-06-2013, 02:30 PM
Rare experience of a lifetime,well documented. Wonderful setting with inclusion of habitat. 'The Tiger and the Elephant', oblivious of presence of each other in this image. Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Mrudul Godbole
11-06-2013, 02:36 PM
Rare moment captured. The water splash looks nice. Agree a bit more space on the right would have been good. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
12-06-2013, 12:36 PM
Nice to see this. I have seen adult elephants are more tolerant of tigers unless the tiger comes close by or unless the tiger is stalking an elephant calf. Kids vanish the moment they can smell the tiger. Adolescents often mock charge.

I agree some more space on right would be good. Nevertheless, it is nice to see this record. Sighting and experience is important, and if there is any good image then we should consider it as a bonus. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

V S Sankar
13-06-2013, 06:41 PM
Great pic and documentation sir.

Regards