PDA

View Full Version : Malabar Whistling Thrush in Rain/Kudremukh

Praveen Siddannavar
10-06-2013, 08:47 AM
Drenched in Rain! (Malabar Whistling Thrush) - We had just checked in Kudremukh Forest Guest House, while it was pouring cats and dogs and through the window of my room I noticed this chap enjoying the rains. Immediately I pulled off my camera from the bag, shot this from the balcony.
The Malabar Whistling Thrush (Myophonus horsfieldii) is a whistling thrush in the thrush family Turdidae. They are also known locally by the name of Whistling Schoolboy for the whistling calls that they make at dawn that have a very human quality. The species is a resident in the Western Ghats and one can’t miss them because of their whistling ability. This large thrush appears blackish with shiny patches of blue on the forehead and shoulders. The blue becomes visible only in oblique lighting. The bill and legs are black. The sexes are indistinguishable and juveniles are more brownish and lack the blue forehead.
The species is omnivorous, eating a wide range of insects, crabs, frogs, earthworms and berries. They are usually seen singly or in pairs.
This bird is a bold and is often found close to human habitation. The male sings its varied and melodious whistling song from trees during summer. They may sing for a long time around dawn but at other times of the day they often utter sharp single or two note whistles. They were once popular as cage birds, with the ability to learn entire tunes. They bathe frequently in water usually in the mornings and evenings but at midday during hot weather.

Camera - Canon EOS 7D, Canon f4.5-5.6 100-400mm lens
EXIF - ISO 800 Av 5.6 Tv 1.100 sec EC +0.3 , handheld and almost full frame. Subject Distance 10.8M

Mrudul Godbole
11-06-2013, 03:37 PM
Nice sighting. Good eye contact. The image looks a bit soft to me, is the AF point locked on the wall? Thanks for sharing the detailed information. Look forward to more from Kudremukh.

Saktipada Panigrahi
11-06-2013, 08:07 PM
Nice sighting. Even under trying conditions patches of colours have come out well. Nice to read your introductory. It has another popular name: 'Idle Schoolboy'. Thanks for taking us to Kudermukh.SaktiWild