PDA

View Full Version : Kanda Leopard - Caught Relaxing

Debasis Bose
17-06-2013, 12:07 AM
Nikon 3100, f/5.3, 1/500s, ISO 500, Nikkor 70-300mm @ 270mm, aperture 4.9.
The day was full of adventure and excitement, we tracked and located this leopard with help of vultures, crow and jungle sound. We were on the other side of Ramganga river when we observed about 12-15 vultures gliding with head pointing towards a particular spot. It took about 15 minutes to reach within 500 m from the spot where the leopard was resting, when we spotted that already the vultures that were flying about 300-400 m above have started landing on the tree tops and few crows, cawing from bough to bough, then landing behind the bushes next to base of a huge tree trunk at the edge of a 15 feet deep ravine running from north to south. Though it was not visible from the spot we were positioned but guessed definitely there was a kill, which the guide, driver and myself were convinced of. While we were trying to spot what was the carnivore in the direction of the kill, we heared call of Sambhar about 100 m to our left at the base of the hill, followed by call of spotted deer, confirming movement of tiger. I was looking at the direction of the call as tigers have habbit of drinking water or resting at some distance from kill after killing its prey and then returning to the kill to savour, when suddenly the guide called with excitement leopard - leopard. I turned my attention toward the guide and looked at the tree that he was pointing, about 80 to 90 m away from us was this beautiful male (size and colour of skin indicated) leopard. While shooting the leopard with my camera, about 150 degree to my left the heavy movement of spotted deer could be felt with continuous calls. Was in dilemma whether to go for the tiger or shoot the leopard, when the driver shouted sir tiger-tiger. Lucky to see two apex predator of corbett within a distance of 100 to 125 m from each other.

Mrudul Godbole
17-06-2013, 10:59 AM
Would have been a great experience to sight two predators so close in Corbett. Nice relaxed pose of the leopard. Seems he was quite high up on the tree.The image looks a bit soft, maybe there was a movement while photographing. Thanks for sharing the detailed description of the sighting. Look forward to more from Corbett. Thanks for sharing.

Saktipada Panigrahi
17-06-2013, 10:17 PM
" Mr. Tiger, What are you doing here? Try if you can. Better go back to the kill. This is not your place!"- asked the clever leopard, himself taking shelter at such great height for survival. Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Roopak Gangadharan
18-06-2013, 12:49 PM
nice sighting. liked the description.

TFS
Roopak

Sabyasachi Patra
18-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Great to hear about this sighting. Nice description. A longer lens here would have been really good to get the details in the leopard. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi