PDA

View Full Version : Prey and Predator

Hymakar Valluru
27-06-2013, 01:03 PM
This was clicked in my April'13 trip to TATR.

I was almost exit time.. we were at Telia lake and it was getting dark.. one of the Telia cubs was roaming around the lake... there was a herd of deers around 100 mtrs from the cub .. cub made all kind of stalking moves which its parents have taught her.. gets very close to the deers lies low to the ground waiting for the prey to get closer.. Deers without realizing tiger was around they walk closer to her.. and we were all eagerly waiting for some action. The action has unfolded almost 10 deers comfortably cross and the 11th one realizes the presence of tiger and starts making calls and all deers run in all directions.. Tiger was startled by sudden action by deers and runs in a different direction as if to protect itself..

This kind of drama has happened almost all the three days we were there..

This ploy will work for the Cub when it becomes a independent hunter.. these deers will continue to take the cub easy and get closer and this cub after growing up will see food getting delivered to her within close proximity..

EXIF:

Canon 60D
300/f4 +1.4 TC
AV Mode
TV : 1/332
AV : F/5.6
ISO : 2500

Hymakar Valluru
27-06-2013, 01:04 PM
Yahoo... 100 Thread counts completed

Debasis Bose
27-06-2013, 04:08 PM
Such occassions are rare to sight where you see unaware prey walking past the predator in unobstructed view. Can very well guess, those few minutes of yours must be full of excitement and apprehensions. You have captured a lovely moment for ever, thanks for sharing

Saktipada Panigrahi
28-06-2013, 10:48 AM
Photograph of a lifetime. I just feel that I am in the jungle watching this natural panorama which is only seen by a very few.Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Sabyasachi Patra
28-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Lovely drama. Watching a tiger trying to hide itself in the open is another learning. If it remains still, not even moving an eyelid, then often the prey gets confused.

In one situation in Mudumalai, we were sitting in the open near a stream. The deers came from the other side of the stream to drink water. They were alarmed but since we didnt move, the deers were confused. The leading deer had its tail up and then slowly it came down. Its feet was slowly raised and lowered once or twice but was not actually stamping its feet hard. The leading deer gave one sharp alarm call and then later on slowly became normal and moved a few steps ahead and was close to a feet of the stream. After about 8-10 mins or so they decided to move away and then later moved upstream and drank water.

All predators know the value of lying still even in clear open terrain. Happy to see this scene unfolding.Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Shyamala Kumar
28-06-2013, 04:17 PM
Wonderful to have this natural drama played out before your eyes and also to record it TFS

Roopak Gangadharan
30-06-2013, 12:59 AM
Lovely moment and one to cherish. you might spend a life time waiting for this and never see this happen.well done

TFS
Roopak