PDA

View Full Version : The Old Villain-panderpouni Male alias Gabbar

Shyamala Kumar
06-07-2013, 09:30 AM
At Tadoba The Grand old male graced us with his royal presence walking quite languidly towards us along a fire line crossing the road behind us and disappearing into the jungle beyond all the while marking his territory.June 12 8.15am 2013.D3200 300mm f/5.6 1/500 ISO 2000

Shyamala Kumar
06-07-2013, 09:35 AM
That was a head on! this is a side on!!

Saktipada Panigrahi
06-07-2013, 11:12 AM
Nice that you have seen a large adult male. To me the side view composed with traces of TATR habitat in the background appears well composed. The age might have cast its shadow on the colour of the coat (not necessarily), in any case the colour of the back (upper hind portion) has not come out well, I think. You are experts on digital image processing, you may think.
Has the tiger shifted its territory to fringe areas? Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

P.S.: Why to call this majestic animal, a villain, I do not know.

Shyamala Kumar
06-07-2013, 01:03 PM
Majestic he certainly is but he is nicknamed Gabbar of Sholay fame.That is why I referred to him as a villain no negative aspersions intended.As far as I know he is very much the dominant male in the Tadoba lake area having fathered a litter of three cubs now half grown.

Shyamala Kumar
06-07-2013, 01:56 PM
I think the tiger may have been sitting in a muddy water body as he definitely looked a little dirty.This may possibly explain the colour disparity.The monsoons had started and Tadoba was full of muddy pools

Mrudul Godbole
06-07-2013, 04:06 PM
Nice to see this dominant male. Due to rains the greenery looks nice. The local guides and drivers give these names like 'Gabbar' and so that become commonly used by all. Thanks for sharing.

Roopak Gangadharan
08-07-2013, 10:37 AM
Nice to see this big male strutting. It seems to have a very distinct stripe pattern on his fore legs and face.

TFS
Roopak

Murugan Anantharaman
10-07-2013, 11:44 AM
Lovely sighting of this male. You are lucky to have spotted 2 males. These males are elusive as compared to the tigresses which are more easily spotted. During my last trip to Tadoba in april I spotted 5 females but no males. Thanks for sharing.