PDA

View Full Version : Sloth Bears - Mother and Cub/Bandipur

Praveen Siddannavar
24-07-2013, 10:03 AM
It was amazing to watch the mother and cub (probably 6 months old) from a distance wandering around a waterhole, for a while they didn’t notice us, and as they got in closer we couldn’t see them either because of the tall parthenium plants. The parthenium is a flowering plant that typically grows in monsoon; it was disappointing to see excessive growth of these weeds not just at Bandipur but also at Kabini. These weeds have no economic benefits and aggressive dominance of this weed threatens biodiversity. And I had also heard they cause allergic respiratory problems in humans and I have already experienced it after my weekend trip. These bears got in close and suddenly noticed us and in no time vanished in the undergrowth. However as expected they crossed the safari track and posed us for few seconds when I managed this image.
More info on this Endangered Species follows…
The sloth bear (Melursus ursinus), also known as the Stickney Bear or labiated bear, is a nocturnal insectivorous species of bear found wild within the Indian subcontinent. The sloth bear evolved from ancestral brown bears during the Pleistocene and shares features found in insect-eating mammals through convergent evolution. International trade of sloth bear is prohibited as it is listed in Appendix I of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species.

Unlike brown and black bears, sloth bears have lankier builds, long shaggy coats that form a mane around the face, long sickle-shaped claws, and a specially adapted lower lip and palate used for sucking insects. Sloth bears breed during spring and early summer and give birth near the beginning of winter. They feed on termites, honeybee colonies and fruits. Sloth bears sometimes attack humans that encroach on their territory. Historically, humans have drastically reduced their habitat and diminished their population by hunting them for food and products such as their baculum and claws.

These bears have been used as performing pets due to their tameable nature.
Sloth bears are the most nocturnal of bears, though sows become more active in daytime when with cubs. The breeding season for sloth bears varies according to location: in India, they mate in April, May and June, and give birth in December and early January, while in Sri Lanka, it can be done all year. Sows gestate for 210 days near about 7 months, and typically give birth in caves or in shelters under boulders. Litters usually consist of 1–2 cubs, rarely 3. Cubs are born blind, and open their eyes after four weeks. Sloth bear cubs develop quickly compared to most other bear species: they will start walking a month after birth, become independent at 24–36 months, and become sexually mature at the age of 3 years. Young cubs will ride on their mother's back when she walks runs or climbs trees until they reach a third of her size. Individual riding positions are maintained by cubs through fighting. Intervals between litters can last 2–3 years.

Sloth bears are expert hunters of termites, which they locate by smell. On arriving at a mound, they scrape at the structure with their claws till they reach the large combs at the bottom of the galleries, and will disperse the dirt with violent puffs. The termites are then sucked up through the muzzle, producing a hoovering sound which can be heard 180 meters away. Their sense of smell is strong enough to detect grubs three feet below ground.

Camera – Canon 1D Mark IV, Canon f4 500mm lens
EXIF – ISO 800 Av 4 Tv 1/500sec EC -0.3, almost full frame
Location - Bandipur Tiger Reserve
Date - 20th July 2013 @ 7:45am

Saktipada Panigrahi
24-07-2013, 10:22 AM
Nice environmental image of the mother and the cub taken under trying conditions. Normally two cubs are born.The mother bear's attachment to cubs is well known.
Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Sabyasachi Patra
24-07-2013, 06:16 PM
Nice sighting Praveen! The pose of the kid is a mirror image of the pose of the mom and forms a pattern. I think a higher angle here would have been better.

One can see them in the morning and again in the late evening when they start again in search of food. I had once came across a sloth bear on foot in masinagudi hardly 8-9 feet away on a bend. I was carrying my camera on a monopod on my shoulder. The moment I brought it down, then bear turned and bolted.

They climbdown from the trees very fast. More than a decade back, I was aiming at a sloth bear in the tree in ranthambhore and was wanting to click when it is climbing down the tree. However, the sloth bear took a fraction of a second to come down the last 10-12 feet and didn't give me a chance. It climbs down the tree much faster than leopards.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
25-07-2013, 11:18 AM
Rare sighting of both mother and cub. Nice pose from both. Good details and composition. Thanks for sharing the detailed information.

Roopak Gangadharan
26-07-2013, 04:43 PM
nice pic. like the pose and the greens..

TFS
Roopak

Shyamala Kumar
30-07-2013, 09:11 AM
Beautiful and rare sighting of an elusive species.Getting both the mother and cub in a gradient and in good eye contact must have been a touch and go.TFS