PDA

View Full Version : Elephant - Mud Bath

Rajan Kanagasabai
03-08-2013, 05:00 AM
This was at Kabini, earlier this month. What i liked was the way it closed its eyes everytime the mud was flug on its back. This was the same one which charged us later.

5D M III, 400 DO F4 IS, F4, SS 1000, ISO 3200, +.01EV, Bean Bag Mounted.

regards
Rajan

Sabyasachi Patra
03-08-2013, 01:49 PM
One can see the twist of the trunk. Amazingly complex set of muscles they have in the trunk.

A vertical composition would have given more space for the mud thrown into the air to be captured. How big was the calf? Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Saktipada Panigrahi
04-08-2013, 06:55 PM
As it appears in the image, may be the young elephant is experiencing severe cutaneous irritation and this mud/moist dust bath is for relief. Nice action well documented.Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

P.S.:
Shri Sabyasachi has already struck the note about age and complex action of the trunk. I may quote the following:

"Calves under six months do not indulge in dust-baths or squirt mire over themselves because by that age they have not acquired sufficient skill with their trunk to put that most versatile organ to such uses : however, they wallow in the wet mud and in muddy shallow water."
-M.Krishnan

Mrudul Godbole
04-08-2013, 08:53 PM
Nice action freezed. The mud in the air looks nice. I agree a vertical composition would have helped to get some more space at the top and also at the bottom. But, it would have been a sudden thing to anticipate and frame. Good details and sharpness. Thanks for sharing.

Saktipadaji, thanks for sharing the information.