PDA

View Full Version : spider with wings..!!!.

Jim Manjooran
11-08-2013, 04:27 PM
for a moment, I thought this was a spider with wings..!!!..
The good book revealed that it is the Yam Fly..
..and the most interesting thing was it's relationship with black ants..
These ants behave like bodyguards, protecting the Yam Fly because they like feasting on the sugary substance that the larvae of the Yam Fly spills..:)....
So..whenever one sees a Yam Fly, there will be several large black ants forming a protective barrier around it..:)...

Sony nex-5 fitted with a LEA1 adapter, Tamron 70 - 300mm, f5.6, 1/500, focal length 300mm, minor crop

Mrudul Godbole
12-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Nice sighting of this species of butterfly. Seems there are slight highlights on the legs. The low angle is nice. Are those ants near the right edge of the frame? Thanks for sharing.

Jim Manjooran
13-08-2013, 11:17 AM
thanks Mrudul...the black ants are quite large..not the small ones we see regularly...
i think i have a picture of both of these friends together...:)...will check and upload in natural history..

Sabyasachi Patra
16-08-2013, 01:33 PM
Nice information about this species.

I am not aware if the Sony NEX - 5 gives you a blinking histogram to indicate overexposure in an image. If so, then one look and you will know when to dial in the negative exposure compensation. You may like to refer to the article on exposure in the tips section.