PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Vibes!

Abhishek Jamalabad
15-08-2013, 03:37 PM
A fishing spider (family Pisauridae) at the edge of a stream, waiting for a meal. These spiders stay in this position for a long time, monitoring the vibrations caused by prey animals (fish, tadpoles etc.) in the water below, using the sensitive hairs on their legs. On sensing a victim, they dash forward, grab it, envenomate it and then feed.

Deliberately used a slow shutter here because I wanted the motion blur of the legs on the water.
It may take a while to identify this one to the species level, will update accordingly when done.

Canon 500D, Canon 100mm Macro USM
SS 1/6
Av 14
ISO 400
Gorillapod support

Thanks, C&C welcome.

Mrudul Godbole
15-08-2013, 09:56 PM
The motion blur effect looks nice. Nice to know about its hunting skills. Is this full frame, as some more space at the top to include the rear leg in full would have been good. Good details. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
16-08-2013, 01:39 PM
Nice idea. I agree with Mrudul's suggestion about slightly more space. How big prey can they catch? Look forward more about their behaviour.

Roopak Gangadharan
21-08-2013, 10:28 PM
Nice one Abhishek. Even i wonder what size of fish they prey on. Look foward to more on this

TFS
Roopak

Abhishek Jamalabad
22-08-2013, 09:17 AM
Never seen one in action, hence I can't comment directly on the prey size. But there are records of spiders in this family hunting small frogs (approximately the same size as the spider) and fish more than twice their size.

Kaustuv Chatterjee
03-10-2013, 03:23 PM
Super image and thanks for the behavior info...