PDA

View Full Version : Fungoid Frog

Abhishek Jamalabad
20-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Call of a Fungoid frog Hylarana malabarica, from Karnala, Maharashtra.

Recorded with my cell phone. Pardon the quality, the recording bitrate was set to the lowest value by default. Pushed it up later but didn't get the call again. It also has a feeble volume. I'd be grateful if someone could up the quality of the file.

Roopak Gangadharan
21-08-2013, 10:32 PM
Thats loud and clear...will be nice if you can add something on the species.

TFS
Roopak

Abhishek Jamalabad
23-08-2013, 05:52 PM
Excerpts from JC Daniel's book, where this species is listed as Rana malabarica:
Medium sized frog, max. 8cm from snout to vent
Back bright orange to red, black flanks. Upper lip white, possibly extending on the sides along the line of glands. Ventrally white, often marbled with black. Legs brown or black with white barring.
Distributed throughout the western ghats, also known from Nilgiris and possibly occurring in suitable biotopes of the eastern ghats.
Semi arboreal. Colouration camouflages with bark fungi. Emits a powerful fungoid odour, also compared to burnt rubber, when excited. (I have never smelt this, despite seeing and even handling these frogs countless times.)

I might have an old image of this species (heard but didn't see it this time!), will look for it and post it soon. The call (posted here) is roughly similar to that of other Hylarana frogs, with the characteristic "tin rattle" sound.
Thanks Sabyasachi for the processing!