PDA

View Full Version : Angel in Paradise

Praveen Siddannavar
20-08-2013, 07:50 PM
I was on a family trip to Naukuchiatal, a small hill station in Nainital district of the Indian state of Uttarakhand. During my morning walk, I ventured into a close by forest and found this beauty, the Asian Paradise Flycatcher (male), he was quietly perched on a branch of tree that was thickly dense area. It is amazing to watch how these birds catch insects in flight and their flight is like a supersonic plane, very fast. It will be interesting to capture this bird in flight.

The Asian Paradise Flycatcher (Terpsiphone paradisi) is a medium-sized passerine bird native to Asia. Males have elongated central tail feathers, and in some populations a black and rufous plumage while others has white plumage. Females are short-tailed with rufous wings and a black head. They feed on insects, which they capture in the air often below a densely canopied tree.

Adult Asian Paradise Flycatchers are 19–22 cm (7.5–8.7 in) long. Their heads are glossy black with a black crown and crest, their black bill round and sturdy, their eyes black. Female are rufous on the back with a greyish throat and under parts. Their wings are 86–92 mm (3.4–3.6 in) long. Young males look very much like females but have a black throat and blue-ringed eyes. As adults they develop up to 24 cm (9.4 in) long tail feathers with two central tail feathers growing up to 30 cm (12 in) long drooping streamers.

Camera - Canon 1D Mark IV, Canon f4 500mm lens
EXIF - ISO 800 Av 4 Tv 1/800 sec EC + 0.3, Sub Dist 20.7M, Cropped and handheld.
Naukuchiatal, Uttarakhand
April 2012

Mrudul Godbole
21-08-2013, 06:49 PM
Lovely perch and eye contact. Its good that you got the long tail feathers in full. The composition looks fine. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
21-08-2013, 11:32 PM
Nice to see its long streamers. The eye contact is nice. Haven't been to Naukuchiatal for a long time. I heard that lot of constructions has happened in that area. Thanks for sharing.