PDA

View Full Version : Big Bees

Sagar Patil
07-07-2009, 09:46 PM
These are very dangerous species among bees. Popular for attacking on humans.

The regional (North Maharashtra) name is - "Aage Mohol"

Aage : For Aag i.e. fire. Means when they bite, it feels like that part is burning
Mohol: Local name for HIVE

This hive was build on dam wall, took peeping over the wall.

ISO 100 | 1/500 | F 4.5 | Full Zoom: 465 mm (35 mm equivalent)

Anybody may identify their species name.

Bibhav Behera
07-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Hi Sagar,
I like the shot. good composition. I would crop from the bottom. I would have used a narrower aperture to bring the entire colony in focus... (f11 and up)

Nice try... Do keep posting :)

Abhishek Jamalabad
08-07-2009, 08:50 AM
Nice one. Big risk you took here!
I'd like to know the scientific name & common name too. I'm no expert, but it should be Apius _______ .
When I had gone to Dandeli once, the road was actually littered with thousands of these bees.

Rajan Kanagasabai
08-07-2009, 09:04 AM
Hi Sagar

Great shot. Agree with Bibhav on the crop. The image also needs a bit of sharpening and highlights. Tried to work on it, but the size did not allow for much of experimenting. See if you like this . . . .

regards
Rajan

Sabyasachi Patra
08-07-2009, 12:55 PM
I like Rajan's version. I agree with Bibhav that a higher aperture would have been better. Look forward to more images. We hardly see images of the insect world.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
08-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Great observation and photograph. The repost by Rajan is good. I think even the f4.5 aperture works, it gives a different feel to the image. The BG is nicely diffuced.

Thanks for the information and looking forward to more of such photographs :).

Sagar Patil
08-07-2009, 03:13 PM
Same thought was in mind what Mrudul said about aperture.

Actually wanted to show where the hive is built, and how bees are stick to it, so took a DAM wall also in the frame.

Thanks to Rajan ji for working on this image, which is really nice than original.

Next time will try for F8.

Vikram Gupchup
08-07-2009, 09:15 PM
Hey ! You are brave Sagar!
These are Rock Bees. Too lazy to cut paste the latin name :)
I would keep the wall , I also dont mind the blur, infact it suits an image of the buzy bees.
I think a more creative perspective would be better , the current image is cut by two parallel horizontals. It would have been better if you had angles rather than straight lines.