PDA

View Full Version : Baraat of Sultan - cub of Noor T 39

Debasis Bose
08-11-2013, 11:59 AM
The naturalist and driver got information from another party that at Bhoot Khurra on route no.4 Sultan aged about 2 years, the son of Noor T 39 is walking on the road. I queried why the party left the location, no logical reply was given. After about 7 or 8 minutes drive we were at Bhoot Khurra. I could only see 3 gypsy one far ahead then a gap of about 40 meter, after that two more gypsy and then two canters. Seeing our gypsy moving quickly two more canters full of school children and one with foreign tourist followed us. I could not locate the tiger, the naturalist and driver made efforts and finally placed our gypsy behind the two gypsy. Finally got a glimpse of Sultan,behind the 1st Gypsy. Looking behind us saw cacophony of six canters. It recollected my childhood days, making maneuvers through the ocean of people and trying to have a glimpse of the groom who was on his way with baraat - a large procession, with its own band, dancers, and budget. Our worst experience of sighting such a majestic Tiger in open.
Nikkon D 3100, Sigma 500mm, F 6.3, ISO 400, 1/160s, aperture 5.3

Sabyasachi Patra
09-11-2013, 09:57 AM
Sadly this is common in Ranthambhore. One jeep will be moving ahead of the tiger and others following and making faces. One cannot get photos like that especially with the engine running. It ofcourse makes people feel like paparazzi chasing Lady Diana. Wildlife photography is all about capturing natural behaviour. Unfortunately, unless the present system of milking the national park by allowing too many jeeps continues, the pleasure of being in a wilderness area is gone. And the worst thing is that the respect for the tiger also vanishes.

Roopak Gangadharan
09-11-2013, 12:38 PM
Couldn't agree more. Here is a piece from the master (Fish of my Dreams in Man-eaters of Kumaon)

"Our environments, even though we may not be continuously conscious of them, nevertheless play a very important part in the sum total of our enjoyment of any form of outdoor sport".

"The weight of the fish is immaterial, for weights are soon forgotten. Not so forgotten are the surroundings in which the sport is indulged in. The steel blue of the fern-fringed pool where the water rests a little before cascading over rock and shingle to draw breath again in another pool more beautiful than the one just left the flash of the gaily-coloured kingfisher as he breaks the surface of the water, shedding a shower of diamonds from his wings as he rises with a chirp of delight, a silver minnow
held firmly in his vermilion bill the belling of the sambur and the clear tuneful call of the chital apprising the jungle folk that the tiger, whose pug marks show wet on the sand where a few minutes before he crossed the river, is out in search of his dinner. These are things that will not be forgotten and will live in my memory, the lodestone to draw me back to that beautiful valley, as yet unspoiled by the hand of man".

Sad that most of our wilderness areas have come to this. At the same time we should also be glad that even today we are lucky enough to have some small pieces of wilderness left out in which we can experience the same kind of joy which Col. Corbett talks of and along with the joy should come a sense of responsibility that it is left to us on what happens to these places in the future. It is simply a matter of choice, wonder how something so elementary can get lost out on any nature lover.
TFS
Roopak

Mrudul Godbole
11-11-2013, 03:52 PM
The excitement of sighting or photographing a tiger is lost when you find so much crowd around it. It feels as if you are not in jungle but somewhere on a busy street in the city, with people and jeeps all around :(. The situation is same in Bandhavgarh national park also :(. I hope the FD realises this and takes some action.

Thanks for sharing.

Couldn't agree more. Here is a piece from the master (Fish of my Dreams in Man-eaters of Kumaon)

"Our environments, even though we may not be continuously conscious of them, nevertheless play a very important part in the sum total of our enjoyment of any form of outdoor sport".

"The weight of the fish is immaterial, for weights are soon forgotten. Not so forgotten are the surroundings in which the sport is indulged in. The steel blue of the fern-fringed pool where the water rests a little before cascading over rock and shingle to draw breath again in another pool more beautiful than the one just left the flash of the gaily-coloured kingfisher as he breaks the surface of the water, shedding a shower of diamonds from his wings as he rises with a chirp of delight, a silver minnow
held firmly in his vermilion bill the belling of the sambur and the clear tuneful call of the chital apprising the jungle folk that the tiger, whose pug marks show wet on the sand where a few minutes before he crossed the river, is out in search of his dinner. These are things that will not be forgotten and will live in my memory, the lodestone to draw me back to that beautiful valley, as yet unspoiled by the hand of man".

TFS
Roopak

Roopak - Thanks a lot for quoting such a beautifully written paragraph. Agree very few places left where we can experience such peace and quiet.

Saktipada Panigrahi
11-11-2013, 09:04 PM
Nice caption. I would have liked only 'Barrat of Sultan' even more. Nice preamble and observations made by all.

This is the reason why a tigress of the Sundarbans had to appear and roar at 3 p.m around April 2010 to stop concrete roofing in Sajnekhali, that is the reason why another tiger had to circle round the nylon fencing throughout the day about a month back in 2013 (I have received the message over phone) to discipline the tourists and photographers and urged not to make noises.

There is at least one forest on this planet where Royal Bengal Tiger rules.

I pay my rich tribute to Smt Indira Gandhi once more.

Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Debasis Bose
12-11-2013, 03:06 PM
I agree with Saktipadada, without initiative of Smt. Indira Gandhi, Tiger of India may have become extinct. Because of our deep rooted belief, we practice culture and civilization in every sphere of our life, and that has its fundamental flaws, which are both catastrophic and irreversible. Wish each of us realize that. My Children told me that they do not wish to visit Ranthambore any more, not because the forest or her denizens are not nice but because atleast pressure from four of our family member will be reduced on the forest.