17-11-2013, 04:18 PM
English Name - Large-tailed Nightjar
Bengali Name - Raat chora
Scientific Name - Caprimulgus macrurus
Size - 33 cm
[Nikon D7000 + Sigma 150-500 + Tripod]
Location - CKBS, Kolkata
Shot Taken on - 16th Nov, 13; 8:05am

[Finally got this one after many visits to ckbs...didn't expected to spot the master of camoflage so easily...

I took 10-15 closeups while the bird waited patiently, after this, my last shot, the bird was till sitting there while I moved away from it letting it sleep in peace...

Moral - Don't disturb a bird or use flash, and still you could be rewarded with a nice shot... ]

1/30 sec; f/6.3; ISO 640

Arpan Saha
17-11-2013, 04:19 PM
critics and reviews needed... I've just started using tripod for bird photography instead of handheld...

Debasis Bose
17-11-2013, 05:03 PM
I love to see and hear the nightjars. The nightjar looks beautiful, wish you could have framed the bird fully. Thanks for sharing

Sabyasachi Patra
17-11-2013, 08:59 PM
Wish to see the full bird. Good to know that you have started using tripod. That helps in increasing the stability. Light appears to be low. Did you shoot in the evening? Thanks for sharing.

Arpan Saha
18-11-2013, 08:17 AM
thanks for the reviews... ya I've framed the bird fully, shot soon to follow... this image is almost uncropped...

Mr. Sabyasachi Patra - As mentioned the image was taken around 8am; but the bird was sitting in full shade, so the low light...
The main reason I've started tripod is after reading one of your article - "He had asked me, “do you know what is the difference between you a me?” When I looked at him, he said that he doesn’t shoot without a tripod or monopod whereas I was happily shooting hand held. Since that day, I have always tried to use camera support systems like a tripod, monopod, shoulder pod or bean bag to steady my shots."
Worth the effort...from now on I'll be trying to capture all of my bird pics using support only; I'm going to miss a lot species, but the shots will be worth it I guess... :)

Shyamala Kumar
18-11-2013, 08:44 AM
Nice details in a rarely seen bird.Would have loved to see the full bird.

Saktipada Panigrahi
18-11-2013, 09:34 AM
Nice close up. Pleased to find it resting peacefully in this small ' Koyeler Bagan ' full of very old fruit-bearing trees and home for so many species of birds and Russel's Vipers. Agree with nice observations made. Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Roopak Gangadharan
18-11-2013, 12:36 PM
Nice to see this. Agree iwth above comments.

TFS
Roopak

Mrudul Godbole
18-11-2013, 03:51 PM
Nice close-up. Using tripod here has helped, as the shutter speed was quite low. If you use proper hand holding techniques then you can get good images at even 1/50 or lesser shutter speed. Was any processing done to the background? Thanks for sharing.

Arpan Saha
19-11-2013, 09:19 AM
thank you all for the reviews... posting full image in the next thread...

basic photoshop done...background blur or any similar feature is NOT used...

Saktipada Panigrahi
19-11-2013, 06:18 PM
thank you all for the reviews... posting full image in the next thread...

basic photoshop done...background blur or any similar feature is NOT used...

There is a two-storeyed residential building just outside boundary wall of the sanctuary with similar colour painting ,which is seen in the diffused background. The bird perched on a relatively lower branch of an old mango tree close to the boundary. This is what I infer. SaktiWild