PDA

View Full Version : Flying Frog (North East)

Abhishek Jamalabad
17-11-2013, 11:17 PM
A flying frog (Rhacophorus sp.) from Pakke Tiger Reserve, East Kameng, Arunachal Pradesh.

These are among a range of animals discovered not long ago from the relatively unexplored regions of north east India. The taxonomy of this group of frogs and distinction between species still largely remains a puzzle.

Canon 500D, 100mm Macro USM
SS 1/250
Av 6.3
ISO 800
EC -0.3

Thanks, C&C welcome.

Sabyasachi Patra
18-11-2013, 11:44 AM
Nice to know that you have been to Pakke. Did you fire the flash? The frog appears a bit brighter than the rest of its habitat and that attracts attention. Its skin looks so delicate. I would love to see its feet. Do you have view from any other angle. Look forward to more images. Thanks for sharing.

Roopak Gangadharan
18-11-2013, 12:34 PM
Nice to see this species.Nice compo. it looks like it is dreaming and smiling..:001_smile:

Abhishek Jamalabad
18-11-2013, 01:00 PM
Sabyasachi,
No flash fired here (although I do have a few images with flash and higher DoF). The light here is dappled morning sunlight, with the BG undergrowth in shade.
I do have images of the feet (which have to be examined to identify the genus) but those were clicked with the frog being handled/restrained. After release it leapt off quickly without posing for more images :).

Abhirup Dutta Gupta
18-11-2013, 02:29 PM
Great capture......

Mrudul Godbole
18-11-2013, 06:04 PM
Nice to see this rare species. Good that you could visit Pakke. How many days was the whole trip, group or personal? Good details. Look forward to more from NE. Thanks for sharing.

Abhishek Jamalabad
19-11-2013, 11:22 AM
Mrudul, this was a 4 day group birdwatching camp in Pakke (didn't concentrate on herpeto-fauna). Also managed to squeeze in short personal visits to a few other places in Assam.