PDA

View Full Version : Ruddy Shelduck pair – enjoying sunny noon

Subhash Shrivastava
21-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Nikon P510, 1/500, F5.9, 180 mm, ISO-140, hand held.

Clicked in Boramani grasslands outskirts of Solapur on 17-Nov-2013, while coming back from Nannaj sanctuary. Boramani grasslands are very extensive and excellent grassland habitat that has been handed over to the Solapur airport by Forest Department.
I have a very mixed feeling about Nannaj and have foreboding that GIBs may not be seen there any longer. As usual FD is busy in coverups

Ruddy Shelduck are the only migratory ducks I have seen this winter so far. The first one I saw on 01-Nov enroute to NSTR. Waitiing eagerly for other guests, but keeping figures crossed as there have been deluge of rains this year, and these fellows prefer shallow waters.

Mrudul Godbole
22-11-2013, 03:55 PM
Nice sighting of this pair. Slight less space at the bottom (rectangular composition) would be nice. So this grassland area have been given to airport authorities? :-), that is sad. A lower angle would have been good. Thanks for sharing.

Subhash Shrivastava
22-11-2013, 04:36 PM
yes Mrudul, this has been handeded over for upcoming airport, there are sign boards annoucing the same. The lower rung of FD told me that this used to be an excellent habitat for BlackBucks and Wolves, it still surpasses Nannaj by miles in size and quality in terms of grassland habitat. On advice of a FD watchman i vsited this while comeing back, and had spent around an hour when two thugs came asking how come i dare to enter into airport property and take pictures. It looks quite fishy, kinda of backroom dealings as media or public hardly took any notice.

The aspect ratio in my camera is 4/3 which is more squarish, should i change it to 3/2 to get more rectangular composition. pls advise.

Sabyasachi Patra
23-11-2013, 12:07 PM
Sad to hear but nevertheless not stunned. Our thirst to grab land in the name of development continues.

Infact the aspect ratio in your compact camera is not the standard 3/2 of the 35mm format. Your camera has 4/3 aspect ratio and hence immediately you it is noticed that your image is not as per the 35 mm aspect ration which everybody in the world is used to. Your camera has got max resolution as 4608x3456. As per the 35mm format it would have been 4608x3072. So when you convert your image to post it with longest side as 1024 your vertical becomes 768 instead of 682.66

Subhash Shrivastava
23-11-2013, 01:42 PM
thanks Sabya sir, Aspect changed to 4608x3072, with immediate effect.
i still have some hope that someone maydo something to save or atleast delay the distruction of some of these natural habitats. whatever is in my capacity I am ready to do. Leaving aside all constraints, i travel abt 400 kms each weekend, and offer silent prayers in these places, i have been a staunch athiest but when i visit these places, i am left with tears and all i can do is ask for some mercy from whatever the power be.