PDA

View Full Version : Colony of Greater Flamingo in midst of desert

Debasis Bose
23-11-2013, 08:12 PM
Ras Al Khor Wildlife Sanctuary, Dubai, is a wetland reserve known for attracting migratory birds in large numbers. The natural wetland have large numbers of birds, crustaceans, small mammals and fish. The sanctuary represents an enclave of relative wilderness amidst swirling traffic and sprawling urban mega infrastructure. It is among the few urban protected wildlife parks of the world.

The Dubai Municipality has taken great efforts to protect and preserve the biodiversity of this delicate ecosystem. The wetland has been fenced off from the public and three birding hides have been built. The bird hides are a first step towards development of more elaborate visitor education facilities in the protected area.

These famous fire birds can be found in warm, watery regions on many continents. They favor environments like estuaries and saline or alkaline lakes. Considering their appearance, flamingos are surprisingly fluid swimmers, but really thrive on the extensive mud flats where they breed and feed.

Greater flamingos (Phoenicopterus ruber, Phoenicopteridae) have long, lean, curved necks and black-tipped bills with a distinctive downward bend.

Their bent bills allow them to feed on small organisms—plankton, tiny fish, fly larvae, and the like. In muddy flats or shallow water, they use their long legs and webbed feet to stir up the bottom. They then bury their bills, or even their entire heads, and suck up both mud and water to access the tasty morsels within. A flamingo's beak has a filterlike structure to remove food from the water before the liquid is expelled.

Shrimplike crustaceans are responsible for the flamingo's pink color.

Greater flamingos live and feed in groups because they believe their safety is in numbers, which helps to protect individual birds from predators while their heads are down in the mud. Greater flamingos also breed while gathered in groups. Once mating is complete, a pair takes turns incubating their single egg. Young flamingos are born gray and white and do not turn pink for two years. In years when wetlands and pools are dry and food scarce, flamingoes may not breed.

Today I was late and sanctuary closed at 4 pm, could not enter inside, however took the shot from about 500m away, after safely parking the car next to the 10 lane highway. Nikon D7000, 70-200mm f2.8, 1/125s, ISO 100, Fstop 2.8 @ 200mm.

Rajan Kanagasabai
24-11-2013, 06:56 AM
Lovely Pano composition. Amazing that a F2.8 can produce so much DOF.

A little more space at the bottom would make this an even better portrait.

Thanks for sharing

Rajan

Debasis Bose
24-11-2013, 02:16 PM
Hi Rajan, agree with you on DOF at 2.8, the performance of Nikor 70-200mm f2.8 lens is too good. The sanctuary is hardly 7 kms away from our house, next opportunity, will keep your suggestion of spacing bit more while shooting

Mrudul Godbole
25-11-2013, 02:43 PM
Nice to see flamingos in such huge numbers. Thanks for sharing.

Ras Al Khor Wildlife Sanctuary, Dubai, is a wetland reserve known for attracting migratory birds in large numbers.

Debasis, as per the forum rules, IndiaWilds Forum is meant for posting wildlife images photographed only in the Indian Subcontinent. Sorry for the inconvenience. Thanks.

Debasis Bose
25-11-2013, 05:11 PM
Hi Mrudul, it came to my mind but then thought subcontinent (in recent years they started calling middle east) covers from Vietnam to Yemen and Sri Lanka to Nepal, I have a collection of Africa, North America and Europe which I have never posted for this reason. Anyhow in future will not post any photograph outside India. Regret any inconvenience caused

Murugan Anantharaman
26-11-2013, 10:39 AM
I was surprised when I saw this image from Dubai. The rules are absolute I suppose. I also have a lot of images made in Northern America, Europe and Africa but haven't posted it. Don't know but am wondering if the moderators would allow a separate section to post images from around the world. That would also help understand wildlife behavior and lessons learnt. Any which way news from around the world on wildlife is posted on conservation and general discussions, then would it make sense to have a section on wildlife from around the world ?? Just a thought here!!! I also understand the site is named INDIAWILDS :) :)