PDA

View Full Version : B2 - My First Tiger Sighting in Bandhavgarh

Debasis Bose
24-11-2013, 05:53 PM
I always wanted to visit Bandhavgarh and Kanha, since I was in college. But never had sufficient money to spare, then the time came when I could spare some money for my passion, but paucity of time and situations never gave me the opportunity. Life went on, and I returned from US for good and took the new assignment in Abu Dhabi, UAE. The year was 2003 and it was begining of April, I was in Calcutta for three weeks, and my wife wanted to visit her parents. Sensed the opportunity, dropped family off at in laws house, straight to Sealdah station with my dad and booked 3 seats for next day Howrah - Mumbai mail to Jabalpur. From Sealdah we straight drove down to "Chitrakoot" at AJC Road and reserved Baghira Log huts in Kanha and White Tiger Forest Lodge, for one week each. Due to school and board exams, did not have any problems in either railways or forest rest house bookings.

This was my first visit and safari in Bandhavgarh, we motored along the meandering tracks of the jungle in open-top Gypsy, in short time of an hour the forest was out with its full bag of tricks. And one of them was the Bari Gufa, believed to be the biggest man-made cave of the reserve dating back to 10th century. My mother, father and I got down from the jeep along with naturalist and driver, opened the grill gate and went inside the bari gufa, latched the gate from inside. After about 5 minutes we were out and as the last among us was stepping into the gypsy, we heard guttural cough… aaaaaaaaooun…aaaaaaaoungh, from the side of the cave, reverberating the surrounding. Suddenly, cacophony of the jungle completely went silent, involuntary shiver ran down my spine and dad was spell bound - held the left arm of the driver called anil sharma, my mother was stunned at the sight and the naturalist jumped into gypsy and whispered, saab "B2 .... B2". Majestically, the lord of bandhavgarh moved towards us with every step and crossed front of our gypsy not more than 5 yards. OMG, realized I have not snapped a single shot. I switched on, then one of my proudest possession "Pentax Optio S50" and clicked few shots. This is one of them, B2 can be seen marking his teritory.

Missed B2 alias sundar (beautiful 2)during my next visit in December 2011, by a month, as he was fatally injured in November 2011 in bandhavgarh national park after territorial fight with other male tiger. B2 never recovered from his injury and died on 22nd Nov 2011. Not very sure about the opponent, may be he was Kalwa, Bokha or Balmera???

Mrudul Godbole
25-11-2013, 01:41 PM
Very interesting account. Surely would have been an amazing experience to see a tiger, when you hardly expected it :-), and that too B2. He surely was very famous in Bandhavgarh, and I too have lots of his photographs clicked in 2008-2009 period.

Wish you had got the tail in full. There seems to be some movement (as you were quite excited). What were the EXIF details? Thanks for sharing.

Saktipada Panigrahi
26-11-2013, 12:12 AM
Nice you have commenced your sighting of tiger with legendary B2 of Bandhavgarh. Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Murugan Anantharaman
26-11-2013, 10:23 AM
Its always nice to recount your experience and share it with others. Here in such situations a photograph is not as important as the experience itself. Having said that it is always a pleasure to get a good image as well :). Nicely captured action of the majestic tiger. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
27-11-2013, 09:40 PM
Nice to hear about your experience. B2 was once the king having defeated his father. Later B2 got defeated by his son. Nevertheless, he had a long run.