PDA

View Full Version : Dig in!

Abhishek Jamalabad
16-12-2013, 07:53 PM
A Calomera chloris tiger beetle feeding on a grasshopper | Khari riverbed, Pakke Tiger Reserve, Arunachal Pradesh.

The entire exposed riverbed was teeming with these tiger beetles. There were initially 5 of them feeding on this grasshopper, my attention was drawn to this sight only when four of them flew off as I unknowingly approached the spot. This one however remained intent on having its lunch. For a brief moment it withdrew its head from the carcass and paused (presumably taking notice of me) but dug right back in and let me close in for some images. My first sighting of a feeding tiger beetle... yet to see one hunting! :)

This species is restricted to the Himalayan region, from Afghanistan & Pakistan, through northern India, eastwards to Bhutan and NE India.

Canon 500D, Canon 100mm Macro USM
SS 1/1250
Av 9.0
ISO 800
EC -0.7
Full frame image
Harsh afternoon light

Thanks, C&C welcome.

Roopak Gangadharan
17-12-2013, 09:51 AM
Two shades of the same colour, two stages of any life...a predator with prey is always thrilling to watch ...maybe it is the fact we are predators and the undisclosed fear that we will become prey one day is what makes it so thrilling...but then it is better to simply enjoy a nice natural history moment and record rather than get philosophical ....:D. Nice one abhishek good details and well framed.

TFS
Roopak

Abhishek Jamalabad
17-12-2013, 07:39 PM
Interesting thoughts Roopak... but like you said, the mind simply does not get philosophical when there is natural history moment unfolding right in front of you. :)

Abhirup Dutta Gupta
20-12-2013, 11:43 AM
Super capture.........

Sabyasachi Patra
13-01-2014, 07:37 PM
Lovely. Interesting predator and prey moment from the insect world. How close did it allow you to approach? I hope someday you can show us hunting shots of this tiger beetle. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Abhishek Jamalabad
14-01-2014, 05:41 AM
Sabyasachi: This was almost at 1:1