PDA

View Full Version : Scrutiny process is on...

Abhishek Mallick
17-12-2013, 11:19 AM
After a long wait of 2 years finally purchased my Canon 100mm - NON IS Macro Lens one and a half months backk :001_rolleyes:

Its being one of my first click with my new gear, was busy clicking the water lily when the bee decided to scrutinize the nectar of the flower.

Comments and Suggestions please..

The flickr link
http://www.flickr.com/photos/83254565@N08/9981411725/

EXIF -
Canon 500D.
Clicked at 100mm of Canon 100mm.
F-9.0
ISO-100
Shutter-1/200
External flash used.

Abhishek Jamalabad
17-12-2013, 12:31 PM
Nice image. That is a hover fly, not a bee. I like the way it is positioned right in the centre against the bright yellow parts of the flower. Could you share the flash settings and the post-processing workflow please? Has the background been decolourised?

The 100mm Macro is an excellent lens, not to mention very very addictive :). I have been using one for almost 3 years now, and besides tiny subjects, I have even found myself going after mammals and large birds with this lens, with good results. A few more shoots with it and I'm sure you will agree!

Abhishek Mallick
18-12-2013, 02:09 PM
Thanks a lot Abhishek for the correction.
The flash I have used is a Youngnu Yn460 II manual flash. Bounced the flash a bit, with normal intensity.
In PP -
Just decolourised all the things which were in the back ground, which helped in gaining the subject more promience.

And yes started loving the lens, going after my fishes and insects as of now. About large mammals and birds what you did with the lens? Excited to know :)

Mrudul Godbole
12-01-2014, 04:18 PM
The colours look striking. Nice you got the fly on the flower, it adds to the composition. The water droplets look nice. Thanks for sharing.

P.S - I have seen some interesting images of large mammals like elephants, monkeys and sambhar (if i remember correctly) photographed by Abhishek with the 100 mm. It sure is a very sharp lens, and opens a whole new world of macros :-). Look forward to more.