PDA

View Full Version : Mountain weasel

Sucheth Lingachar
18-12-2013, 12:27 AM
Photographed in Hemis National Park at Ladakh( Rumbak Valley).
The conservation status, according to the IUNC, is near threatened because it is considered to be in a significant decline and requires monitoring mainly because of habitat and resource loss.

Nikon D7100, Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4D IF-ED + AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II/14E
F/7.1, 1/2000s, ISO 400

Shyamala Kumar
18-12-2013, 12:50 AM
Lovely image from Ladakh.Colours composition and light all blend perfectly.Thanks for sharing

Abhishek Jamalabad
18-12-2013, 08:46 AM
Very nice! Great that you could photograph this species. Is this full frame? If so, you could try cropping in.

TFS

Roopak Gangadharan
18-12-2013, 09:48 AM
Great find and nice freeze sucheth. lovely light and I like the way it is peeping out.Nice clean Bg.

TFS
Roopak

Saktipada Panigrahi
18-12-2013, 10:03 AM
Simply Wonderful. God's grace.This is Himalayan Weasel (Mustela sibirica) [of which there are three sub-species, I can not exactly specify]. Thank you for taking us to a D R E A M L A N D and sharing. SaktiWild

Abhishek Jamalabad
18-12-2013, 10:10 AM
This is Himalayan Weasel (Mustela sibirica) [of which there are three sub-species...

Quoting from S.H.Prater's The Book of Indian Animals:
The Himalayan races are: a dark-muzzled form (subhemachalana), a white-muzzled form (canigula), and a third race (hodgsoni) in the which the white of the muzzle does not extend as far as the eyes.

Guessing this is M. s. hodgsoni ​then. Thanks for pointing it out, Saktiji.

Murugan Anantharaman
19-12-2013, 11:11 AM
Nice image Sucheth. The bg is lovely and rightly diffused. In case you have an image with fuller view of the Weasel please do share. Thanks for sharing.

Sucheth Lingachar
19-12-2013, 06:28 PM
Thank you Shyamala Kumar,Abhishek,Roopak,Saktipada Panigrahi,Murugan for your valuable comments....

Abhishek : this is almost Full Frame.... will crop and will post...
Saktipada Panigrahi : Thank you so much for information about this species....
Murugan : Have full view of this cutee.. will post in coming days...

Sabyasachi Patra
09-01-2014, 04:58 PM
Sucheth,
Lovely image. The pose is nice. The ears give it a cute appearance. It was nice hearing your experiences that day. I called up Hymakar after talking with you to know more about the ladakh experience. No wonder we talked for a long time, and I couldn't find dinner in the sleepy village I was staying at that time. I am now back and have to check all the images. Did you sight this near your tent? Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Sucheth Lingachar
09-01-2014, 10:49 PM
Thank you Sabyasachi Patra for the appreciation and the comments....
and it was nice talking with you sir after long time....:) this was not near our tent... this was photographed when we were going to Rumbak Village... this was shot in the morning...