PDA

View Full Version : Queen of Bijrani Chaur - Corbett Tiger Reserve

Debasis Bose
07-01-2014, 11:45 AM
This trip to Corbett was amazing and jaw dropping.

First three nights we stayed in the comfort of about 90 years old Malani forest rest house, nestled deep inside the core and about 20 km from Amdanda gate. As we motored along the meandering tracks of the jungle in our open-top Gypsy, the forest displayed out its full bag of tricks. Dappled sunlight played among the leaves of sal and bamboo-thickets, and created a thousand illusions. Tips of vegetation swayed in the breeze, and we wondered if we just missed a sighting. A warped stick looked amazingly like the antlers of a sambar or chital stag, and I excitedly tapped our naturalist on the shoulder, only to be given an indulgent smile and a shake of the head. Of course, false alarms apart, there were encounters aplenty. Other than deer, one can see nearly 550 or more bird species, sloth bear, leopard, jackal, pangolin, yellow throated marten, mongoose, wild jungle cat, leopard cat, cobra, python, mugger, gharial and elephant herd – if lucky the giant tusker, the largest mammal in the wild. These immense beasts are truly magisterial in appearance with their long white tusks, heavy muscular body with huge flapping ears, supremely powerful and arrogant. If your luck is in, you may come across a pair of bulls jousting by the roadside or meadow – a stately affair as the giant combatants spend hours in weighing each other and snorting their derision before actually engaging themselves.

In the serene surrounding with heavy air of intoxicating, indescribable aroma - heady concoction of a woody fragrance, the scent of flowers and leaves, the pure, clean smell of a forest older than time itself, there is a clear undercurrent of anxiety in this veritable Garden of Eden. We could see and feel that, the way the chital stop chewing the grass to listen and look all around them, their large ears perked up, the stumpy tails with white undersides twitching from side to side. It is visible in the intense gaze of the langur-watchman, the sudden stillness in the grazing sambar-hind or sudden panic movement of jungle fowls.

A movement in a distant bush, or a sound too many, and the jungle comes alive with thudding hooves and swishing branches as animals flee for cover, the air ringing with myriad alarm calls – the shrill cry of the chital, the throaty bark of the langur, or the bagpipe-like bellow of the sambar.

Peaceful as the jungle may seem, it is truly ruled by the hidden menace of the Tiger.

Supremely reclusive, seldom seen and rarely heard, the mystique of this majestic phantom predator is in the air all over Corbett tiger reserve. You may wander in the forest for days without getting a whiff of him, but signs of his presence are easy to see. Long rows of pugmarks on the loose soil by the roadside, scratch-marks on trees where the feline has sharpened its claws, and the occasional tiger-scat. Yet the tiger has a habit of showing up where you least expect him. Sightings are purely dependent on luck and can happen almost anywhere in the Park. And sometimes they are really up close – only few tigers at Corbett are comfortable with Gypsys, and walk past within a couple of feet of the vehicles. This was the case with us when the queen of Bijrani chaur decided to meet us without any sign or alarm call and both of us were amused by the presence of each other at a distance less than 10 m apart, and that can be easily visualized by the amused and bewildered stare of the tigress in the picture.

She majestically walked past in front of our gypsy and vanished into the shrubs that had grown at two meter height on a mud bank to the left of the forest road.

Don’t know what made her reward us with nerve chilling excitement that we never witnessed before. After the wonderful sighting, we drove past about 40 or 50 meters from the spot of sighting and stopped to watch few spotted deer’s grazing in the chaur to our right. Suddenly, without any warning, out of the blue like a canon shot she leapt out of the bushes from the higher left bank of the road over our gypsy bonnet straight on to the grazing chitals on right bank. The 150 kg mass moving like a canon ball caused the change in air pressure, could be felt by all of us. We were stunned amidst the continuous alarm call of spotted deer. It all seemed it was matter of only few seconds but the entire action from spotting to leaving the spot went on for 26 minutes. It was time for us to drive back to our FRH.

Nikon D700, Nikor 300mm F2.8, exposure 1/250, ISO 400, shot at 1604 hrs.

Saktipada Panigrahi
07-01-2014, 03:56 PM
The behaviour of tiger of the Himalayan foothills truly examplified. You got the experience Jim Corbett had from the leopard leaping over his head.Truly amazing. Life should be lived dangerously.

I had the experience from a Corbett tigress, daughter of a maneater; leaping, rising to a height of 10-11 ft., swerving like a Ray Lindwall's outswinger past my body finding the quick reaction and trumpeting of a very experienced female elephant I was fortunately riding that day, too much for her.
Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Debasis Bose
07-01-2014, 05:28 PM
Dear Saktida, I really like 5 words description towards perspective of life. "Life should be lived dangerously", I believe it may be dangerous for general but not for a person who understands what are the dangers involved, takes precaution and maneuvers to achieve and enjoy the experience of lifetime.

Which year did you have the close encounter and I would love to read the details of your encounter with tigress. I also had two encounters and that also with my family riding the elephant sonakali now about 60-65 years of age and the other incident was riding the elephant called chanchal, both in corbett. But fortunately they were normal wild tigers and were unkowingly pushed to a corner by the elephants.

Mrudul Godbole
09-01-2014, 08:08 AM
Such a close sighting in corbett, is truly very rare. You are really lucky to witness this. Nice eye contact. Some more sharpness would have enhanced the image further. I liked the detailed narration, I could visualise the whole scene as if it had happened before me :-). Thanks for sharing.

Debasis Bose
09-01-2014, 11:40 AM
Hi Mrudul,
Pleased to learn that you liked the narration and had the scenario feel. Agree, if the image was sharper it would have enhanced the picture. It happened so fast and was very difficult to hold the focus on the tigress with grass in foreground and low light, also I am still trying to learn to use the new Nikor 300mm F2.8 lens.
The inconspicuous law of the jungle in the narration, if observed, unkowingly our gypsy and the tigress were crossing each others path, when both the Tigress and us were surprised by each others presence, and secondly we were so mesmerized by her sudden appearance and bemused elegance that we forgot what is fear and that we were standing in her way. With royalty oozing from her majesty, the large hearted creation of God decided to follow the law of the jungle, avoided us by changing her path by few meters and passed swaggeringly ahead of our gypsy. In the second instance, she ignored us and leaped over our gypsy bonnet. Think if it was us humans in her place, most of us would have taken the raffish way. Here is the image attached, while she passed elegantly our vehicle.

Saktipada Panigrahi
11-01-2014, 11:35 AM
Bhai Debasis,
It happened during the third/ last week of May,1988 near Khinnanauli, the chaur was then full of tall elephant grasses. I was staying in Dhikala FRH and went to Khinnanauli in the afternoon by vehicle. Boarded one elephant and entered the tall grasses. After a while I noticed a reddish-yellow flash at a distance, and advised the mahut to move forward slowly in a semi-circle. For about half an hour there was all quiet and silence all round. Then suddenly we found the crouching tigress very close looking menacingly. The very experienced mahut directed the elephant to shuffle and took head-on position from the right angle position taken by the tigress. Then the roar, charge, ten times louder trumpet and swinging great leap...............
We came back to Dhikala and discussed with foresters and mahuts. I was told that two equal-sized tigresses were seen hunting together wild animals for quite sometime and have resorted to killing human beings from early 1988. The female cub was already fully grown up (above three years or so) and she should have left one year back. But she remained with the mother to assist her. Shooting orders were passed after three human deaths during March, 1988; as far as I recollect and the mother was eliminated near Dhikala during May, 1988 only a few days earlier of my visit.
The young female was in emotional distress, I could understand. She definitely moved towards our elephant as we were moving forward slowly in a semi-circle. May just be out of curiosity or since she has no fear of human beings. May be during shuffling, the elephant went closer.
After autopsy it was established that the mother had a lot of tape worms in her stomach and she was too weak to hunt alone and needed daughter's help.
The daughter did not become a man-eater.
A tiger can change its trajectory midway during flight after leap, I have seen.
Kind regards,SaktiWild

Debasis Bose
12-01-2014, 08:02 PM
Dear Saktida,
Thank you for sharing the nerve chilling encounter you had. I would say you had the experience similar to that Corbett encountered while terminating Talla desh maneaters, near the half eaten body of Dungar Singh's mother. In Corbetts case mother of the two full grown cubs was under emotional distress after he shot both the cubs but in your case it was the daughter who was emotionally distressed after mothers elimination. I learned something new, that a tiger can change its trajectory midway in air after the leap. Best Regards Debasis Bose

Murugan Anantharaman
16-01-2014, 02:12 PM
I just read the entire thread and loved every bit of it. Debasis da's encounter with this amazing tigress and Saktida's reminiscence of 1988 incidents at Corbett NP. I completely agree with Saktida, A tiger can change its course even in the middle of a leap. I have also faced this first hand in Corbett incidentally. It was my birthday during the month of December 10 years after Saktida's encounter (1998), we had seen a glimpse of a tigress near kamarpatta but she disappeared even before we could comprehend her. So our driver took a detour and we tried to bump into her forecasting her trajectory. However we missed her big time, just could not see her after that.

When we were returning towards the main road our guide (JP) suddenly whispered tiger tiger. The jeep stopped and slightly retraced but JP said stop and don't switch off the engine. We saw a majestic male sitting under a small tree with a patch of light just on him. He seemed agitated, his tail rose within seconds and he made a dash at us. We were all too bewildered to react but JP saved us. In 2 leaps the tiger had his fore legs in the air ready to slap us, puffed face and humongous head almost drilled into our throats. But luckily for us JP roared back, I haven't heard a human shout so loudly ever and that diverted the tiger's attention and mid air he changed his direction and moved into the vegetation 2 feet away from the jeep. He then turned his head looking intently at us, but we drove away slowly fully understanding that the tiger was in no mood for company.

We then reached Dhikala and narrated it to the others in the cafe, we heard from the forest staff that a tiger couple was mating in that area and we had encountered a very nasty tiger famous for his temper. Corbett is so full of stories, it never ceases to amaze me.

Debasis Bose
16-01-2014, 08:13 PM
Hi Murugan, you are correct, around 1998 there lived a male tiger whose favourite haunt was the waterhole of chuhapani and used to reside around kamarpatta road between bicchu bhauji fire line at one end and the track that leads from bypass end of sambar road towards kamarpatta. I still hear stories about that great beauty - the striped male of formidable size from drivers and guide. The tiger had the habit to show up if he heard the sound of Gypsy and growl or charge at it. You caught him at a time when his testosterone was at peak, ..... you were lucky.

Sabyasachi Patra
23-01-2014, 11:03 AM
I agree that Corbett is amazing. Each one takes away a unique moment, and still Corbett has enough for people.

Debasis,
Did you crop the original tiger image in this post? It seems soft. How far was the tiger? I guess the new heavy lens, excitement of a watching a tiger, running engine etc contributes to it.

Debasis Bose
23-01-2014, 05:15 PM
Yes I did cropped the image by 30%. Tiger was max 10 m from us, 300 F2.8 was locked on to min of 6m. Everything you mentioned contributed excitement, jeep ready for burst in case the tigress responds to our presence and of course in winter days 4 pm the sun goes behind the hills of Bijrani chaur.