09-01-2014, 11:24 PM
NIKON D5000
Nikkor 55-200 mm VR
ISO. 400
SS. 1/1600
F. f/5.6
Shot in 86mm
Dibru-Saikhowa National Park. Assam.

It was very difficult to catch. It was the only shot where at least something is visible.

Mrudul Godbole
10-01-2014, 02:55 PM
Nice first post. Agree sighting river dolphins is very rare. You were quite lucky to sight it and photograph. The water splash looks nice. Look forward to more. Thanks for sharing.

Saktipada Panigrahi
10-01-2014, 04:48 PM
Nice lively image. Most important moment - the Gangetic Dolphin breathing air through the blowhole on the top of the head ; also the elongated rostrum (bill) brilliantly captured. Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Roopak Gangadharan
14-01-2014, 01:34 PM
Great you cud sight this rare mammal.

TFS
Roopak

Sabyasachi Patra
15-01-2014, 12:22 PM
Great to see this. Were you on a boat? This image reminds me of a similar image that I had clicked of dolphins in chilika lake in 1995. Some people still didn't believe as they had been fed with images of dolphins from dolphinariums jumping into a ring etc.

Also, you have to remember that there is a time lag between our sighting and tripping the shutter button. So you have to also anticipate and click the moment it is about to come to the surface of the water. I am sure next time we will see a better image from you. Keep on trying, these are not easy to click.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Abhishek Jamalabad
19-01-2014, 09:26 PM
Nice to see an image of this species. I sighted some during a recent visit to the Brahmaputra near Pobitora. I have seen and photographed a lot of marine dolphins before, but these river dolphins are extremely difficult to click due to their much more shy nature and comparatively unpredictable movements. Nice job!