PDA

View Full Version : Great Slaty Woodpecker

Debasis Bose
12-01-2014, 10:20 PM
Managed to shoot this rare species of the largest woodpecker of Corbett. Location behind Khinanauli FRH, on the road leading to Khinanauli watchtower.
Nikon D700, Nikor 300mm F2.8, with 2x teleconvertor, 600mm @ F/9, exposure 1/320s, ISO 200

Saktipada Panigrahi
13-01-2014, 10:04 AM
Lovely rare sighting. Nice composition. Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Murugan Anantharaman
13-01-2014, 10:39 AM
Nice picture Debasis da. Corbett is my favourite jungle in India and will continue to remain so as I have developed my love for wildlife from there years back. I haven't seen the Slaty Woodpecker yet, will look forward to the next time I am in Corbett. The pair is busy planning for the future it looks :). Thanks for sharing.

Debasis Bose
13-01-2014, 06:13 PM
Thanks Saktida and Murugan for the nice comment. I consider myself lucky to capture this species with camera. With probable extinction of the Imperial Woodpecker and the Ivory-billed Woodpecker, this species is now considered to be the largest surviving woodpecker in the world. From the time I heard the melodious whinnying cackle - kwokwoikwokwoik, kept on trying my luck for an hour or so, and finally was rewarded with this shot. Imagine carrying 4 kg (3 Kg lens + 300gms teleconvertor + 1 Kg camera body) and continuously aiming at the branch from where sound was emanating. I am sure you can guess the condition of arm muscle after wards. Initially did try with bean bag and tripod, was not successful, as these birds seems to be never stationary at a place for more than a second or two. Regards Debasis

Mrudul Godbole
13-01-2014, 10:09 PM
Nice to see a pair of this rare species. Your efforts to carry the heavy load paid off :-). Good eye contact from both the birds. Thanks for sharing.

Roopak Gangadharan
14-01-2014, 04:52 PM
Super sighting and a good image bose sab. Tough bird to get and not many people can claim an image of this beauty. These are not a breeding pair but 2 males...

TFS
Roopak