PDA

View Full Version : Unidentified Spider

Bibhav Behera
05-02-2014, 10:39 AM
A shout out to Abhishek for the ID! :) (Giant Wood Spider Juvenile??)

Shot this in the outskirts of Bangalore towards Varthur. I didn't like the bright grass stalk but thought I should leave it as it retained the eye for me in the upper half of the image.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Tokina 10-17mm Fisheye
SS 1/800
f/4.5
ISO 400

Full Frame image. Comments and critiques and the ID help welcome.

Abhishek Jamalabad
05-02-2014, 11:17 PM
I keep seeing this spider but have somehow never got down to actually ID'ing it! Wish I had my spider book with me :(... I strongly feel it might be genus Leucauge, it would be great if you could browse around to confirm. (Getting to the species level might not be possible unless you have more shots.)

TFS

Sabyasachi Patra
06-02-2014, 02:10 PM
I think some more space at the left would have been better. I haven't used a fish eye lens for a long time, as I couldn't like the curved lines, except for use in some situations where the curved lines can be creatively used. So look forward to more images with fish eye lens. Why this Tokina instead of Canon?

Bibhav Behera
06-02-2014, 04:26 PM
Thanks Sabyasachi and Abhishek for your reply.
I chose Tokina as it works on full frame as well as on crop frame sensors. Canon has discontinued their 15mm fisheye and the only one available is the 8-16mm f/4L which costs 1L. Considering the limited usage of the fisheye I didn't feel like spending a lakh on the Canon one.