PDA

View Full Version : Spooky call of Mottled wood owl

Roopak Gangadharan
18-02-2014, 09:19 PM
The legendary spooky call of Mottled wood owl. If heard in a scary setting it is bound to terrify many an unsuspecting soul. one of my school friends who visited kerala from Andhra back in 90s came running down from the first floor on hearing this. In many places it is considered to be a harbinger of death and I remember the older folks in the family cursing if it called anywhere near to the house. In reality the call is part of a pair calling to each other. This is usually followed by the pair calling to each other in typical style as in the link below.

http://www.indiawilds.com/forums/showthread.php?13363-Mottled-Wood-Owl-Pair-Calling

Quality is poor -recorded with a Samsung mobile and the bird flew to its mate as it was calling out. Request Patra sab to see if it can be improved.

Rgds
Roopak

Sabyasachi Patra
18-02-2014, 11:08 PM
Nice to hear this. I tried to amplify as well as remove the noise. Since the original was a small file, it was a bit difficult. Was someone else with you when you were recording the sound?

I hope people can hear all these sounds which we miss in the cities.

Roopak Gangadharan
19-02-2014, 09:46 AM
Much better sir. I was alone, but this was close to a road and a kid was yelling in a nearby house.

Rgds
Roopak

Sabyasachi Patra
19-02-2014, 10:27 AM
I felt there was some footsteps and other sounds in the background, so I asked if someone else accompanied you. Unfortunately we have a big challenge recording sounds. It is an aspect which is often ignored by people. The impact of sound pollution on wildlife species is huge.