PDA

View Full Version : Leopard Cat - Corbett

Debasis Bose
22-02-2014, 11:54 AM
Malani FRH does not have electricity. Our cook who moves along with us during our forest rest house stays, other than Dhikala and Bijrani, gave us early dinner that night. It was past 7 pm, was enjoying the calls of nightjar, when heard some movement in the bushes from the corner of the fence on far side to right. Due to pitch darkness was unable to make out anything. Armed with LED torch and my wife's Sony digital camera slowly tip toed closer to the electric fence. Stood there like a stone for a minute or so and then switched the torch and directed towards the sound, to my amazement saw two porcupine slowly approaching toward the fence from the far side of the tree, as soon as the porcupine moved from far side of the tree to left side and vanished into the darkness, from the left dashed the leopard cat to right. I could only click once, photograph did not come out well, however, was able to record it with an exposure 1/30s and ISO 400. Sharing the rare experience.

Mrudul Godbole
22-02-2014, 12:48 PM
Wow very rare sighting of this species. Thanks for sharing.

Abhirup Dutta Gupta
22-02-2014, 01:30 PM
Wonderful shot........

Roopak Gangadharan
22-02-2014, 01:37 PM
great sighting
TFS
Roopak

Shyamala Kumar
22-02-2014, 03:34 PM
A very rare sighting indeed.Thanks for sharing

Saktipada Panigrahi
22-02-2014, 07:14 PM
Very rare and nice sighting of this shy cat. Wish Corbett will open its treasure even more during your ensuing visit in April, 2014. Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Sabyasachi Patra
22-02-2014, 08:10 PM
Nice sighting. I have seen porcupines in malani. Haven't seen a leopard cat there. Thanks for sharing.

Murugan Anantharaman
23-02-2014, 07:43 AM
Lovely sighting Debasis Da. Lucky that you could sight it. Well deserved also :). I haven't yet been able to sight this elusive cat. Maybe sometime soon. Have been planning to go to Corbett for sometime now. Thanks for sharing.