PDA

View Full Version : India's Biggest Male Tiger in Making

Debasis Bose
23-02-2014, 09:12 PM
This tiger was born during the rainy season of 2010, around June/July or August 2010. He is less than 4 years of age but in my opinion he already weighs about 34 or 35 stones. By the time he reaches his prime age of 7-8 years, he may surpass 45-46 stones stones. I have photographs of this tiger when he was about 16 months, then when he was 24 months, then 33 months and this is his latest one. This shot was taken just outside Dhikala FRH main gate about 5.30 pm. Nikon D700, Nikor 300mm f2.8, ISO 2000, exposure 1/250s.

Saktipada Panigrahi
25-02-2014, 08:02 AM
Adult size of a tiger differs with the individuals. By size we mean both the length and weight. Our friend is just 4 years old. At this stage we may guess that it will be a heavy-built tiger. But the length is not that great as seen. A Tiger attains prime when it becomes 5 years old. Within this 1 year it will grow in height and length. After that till 9 years or so, in the wild tiger may only gain in weight.
Now in the jungles of the Himalayan foothills, many tigers are never seen by tourists or even by the forest staff (camera trap does not provide authentic details of size) particularly in core areas. How many times the Great Khali of Corbett has been photographed? Not many. It possessed enormous length and weight. There is no news about it, as far as I know, for about 2 years. Is there any descendent male? I do not know. If yes, it will also have good prospect.
Wish our Tiger will grow up like The Bachelor of Powalgarh of Corbett tales.
Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Sabyasachi Patra
25-02-2014, 12:05 PM
Nice to see a handsome fellow. Out of our 1400 odd official tiger population, at best tourists sight a max of 10% of them. Several years back while I was in a tiger census in Suabeda Tiger reserve, I came across the signs in a place where the tiger had slept and had found a few hair as well. From the size of the mark it appeared to be a massive tiger. So I lied down parallel to the dirt mark and it was as long as me. Add the length of the tail and it would have been a really massive tiger, even after allowing for margin of error in estimation due to the sand. Tigers living in an undisturbed area with sufficient prey and good water can grow up fast.

Murugan Anantharaman
26-02-2014, 01:27 PM
Nice image and good information by Saktida and Sabyasachi. Thanks for sharing.