PDA

View Full Version : Which lens after Canon 100-400

Ashok Sorout
10-03-2014, 05:36 PM
Hi Friends, I have been using canon 100-400 for quite some time, Results are ok so far but not very encouraging. I am looking for upgrade the lens, common use will be mammals and birds. Can you please suggest good lens with in 2-2.5 lacks of budget....

If any one is disposing off old 300mm 2.8 lens please let me know on 9090009300.

Rajan Kanagasabai
12-03-2014, 07:53 AM
Hi Ashok

You are not alone with this million dollar question :-) I was in your shoes a couple of years ago. While i still have the Sigma 150-500 and the Canon 100-400, i was in a quandary on the next piece of glass, for as you rightly said, once you progress in photography, the next level always beckons. I remember Sabyasachi's advice at this point. He urged me to go in for a good body, which would complement the L series lens (I used to and still have the 400D and the 40D when i was scouting for a new lens). So, i did invest in a full frame body 5D M II and the same lenses with the new body were making quite a difference in quality. I have no idea if you already have a good full frame body. If you do not, then maybe that is worth considering.

Secondly on the piece of glass. Since you have mentioned both Mammals and Birds, i am not sure if one single lens will fit your needs. I am already finding my 400 F4 DO IS prime to be a handicap when on Safari's with large mammals. I will need to carry the 100-400 mounted on another body for the mammals.

So, long story short, maybe a Prime (as you said a 300 with a Tx) for the birds and smaller mammals, and the current 100-400 for the mammals would be ideal choice.

Hope this helps

regards
Rajan

Abhishek Jamalabad
16-03-2014, 06:41 PM
Hi Ashokji,

I would try to pinpoint (a) the intended subjects and where & why the current lens falls short, and (b) technical reasons for an upgrade (aperture not wide enough, sharpness inadequate?) bearing in mind the conditions you most frequently shoot in.
In this particular case, since you say the 100-400mm has given you "ok but not very encouraging" results, I would pay more attention to point (b) above. Before buying expensive new glass, I would suggest figuring out why the current lens fell short of your expectations on the technical side. It is not uncommon for us to sometimes lose faith in our equipment only to find that it is our techniques which are at fault... it has happened (at least with me) on countless occasions :). As Rajanji suggests, it might be that the DSLR you use (not sure which one it is) doesn't produce the best results with your lens. Also, are you sure it is not a minor problem with the lens that can be corrected?
I'm certainly not attempting to discourage you from upgrading :D, but the 100-400mm is without doubt an above-average lens, hence I urge you to ascertain that it is indeed a shortcoming of the lens before you upgrade.

Ashok Sorout
27-03-2014, 05:49 PM
Thanks for your replies Rajan Ji and Abhishek Ji which is in very detailed manner. I am currently using 7D body which is APC sensor not full frame. I have 24-105 L series, 100 mm F2.8 Macro and 50mm F1.8

I have already sold 100-400 as it developed IS problem and giving problems during focus. I have shortlisted one as of now i.e. Sigma 120-300 F2.8 constant apperture with 1.4 X TC. Might plan 2X TC later on.