PDA

View Full Version : Male Barking Deer( Muntjac)-K-Gudi

Shyamala Kumar
11-03-2014, 06:49 PM
Nikon 7100+300mm 1/1600s,f/4, ISO250 FL300mmFeb aftternoon2014.He was mincing along in the very premises of the resort when I caught sight of him and was able to take a few shots, before he made himself scarce.

Saktipada Panigrahi
11-03-2014, 07:33 PM
Nice image. Nice gait, conscious of your presence but liked to give you audience. Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Roopak Gangadharan
12-03-2014, 12:07 PM
Nice walking pose. the subject is well lit. In terms of the location i guess K gudi is the best among JLR resorts. one gets decent sightings in the resort premises itself.

Waiting for your Bhadra Trip report...:001_smile:

TFS
Roopak

Subhash Shrivastava
12-03-2014, 04:54 PM
Hi Shyamala, thanks for sharing the image of a very elusive deer. Good sharpness in-spite of chousingha walking. I had seen one in Marudmilli and could manage a grainy image.

Shyamala Kumar
12-03-2014, 06:16 PM
Thanks Saktipadaji,Roopak,Subhash.By the by Subhash, the chousingha is altogether a totally different species of deer.It is smaller and has four small horns.I sighted one in Tadoba but unfortunately was unable to photograph it. It is even more elusive than the muntjac.

Subhash Shrivastava
12-03-2014, 07:38 PM
oh, all along i was assuming it was the hindi name for the same deer. thanks for letting me know, got a new bit of knowledge today :). what i sighted in Marudmilli was chousingha.

Shyamala Kumar
13-03-2014, 07:31 AM
Actually the Chousingha is a species belonging to the antelope family as do the blackbuck,nilgai,chinkara,though its horns are not ringed like them.The females are hornless.They are generally the same size as the muntjac which belong to the deer family.They have two pairs of horns,and dark brown stripes running down the front of all the legs

Sabyasachi Patra
25-03-2014, 05:11 PM
Nice to see this. They are shy and get spooked easily. It is not easy to sight a barking deer in many wildlife sanctuaries. However, K Gudi is a place where one can get guaranteed barking deer sightings.