PDA

View Full Version : In a Mudbath-Sambhar in K-Gudi

Shyamala Kumar
27-03-2014, 06:36 PM
Nikon7100+300mm 1/500s F4 ISO720 Feb evening 2014

Saktipada Panigrahi
28-03-2014, 10:24 AM
The unique behaviour of the Sambar Stag lying and rolling in the mire in order to keep cool, and may be for pleasure; nicely captured.
Why unique?
(1)This was observed in one February evening, I do not know about the day and the possible night temperature as I have no knowledge about the forest. But it has least significance as far as the Sambar is concerned.
Dunbar Brander has pointed out that when winter mornings are frosty, Sambar lies up in the water, which is warmer - it does so even in Nilgiris. Krishnan has observed that apparently the Sambar is more sensitive to cold than heat.
(2)Wallowing, Krishnan has written, is associated in other deer with breeding season; but in case of the Sambar it seems that it is indulged in at all times and has no special connotation with breeding season.
Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Shyamala Kumar
30-03-2014, 08:15 AM
Saktipadaji this particular behavior may just be a way of getting rid of parasites.When the mud dries it immobilizes and suffocates the parasites .This then flakes and falls off carrying the parasites with it.

Mrudul Godbole
30-03-2014, 07:48 PM
Nice behavior captured. I agree they might also be doing for getting rid of the parasites, the way the other mammals do, like buffaloes and elephants spraying mud. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
01-04-2014, 03:41 PM
Buffaloes can't stop away from mud or water. In my village I was once told by the people tending buffaloes have a tough time stopping them from getting into pools, especially ones which are used for drinking water etc. They like to get into water irrespective of the season. I guess it is more of temperature rather than for ticks.

Sambar's lifestyle is much different than a deer. Even though they face the similar ticks and other insects, Sambar due to its height is more comfortable than the deer. Sambar also ventures into deeper waters to get tasty weeds. And they lick more mud than other deer.