PDA

View Full Version : Mugger crocodile– enjoying sun on a winter afternoon

Subhash Shrivastava
02-04-2014, 05:00 PM
Nikon P510, 1/400, F5.9, 216 mm, ISO-400, hand held.

Clicked in Manjira barrge (Manjira Wildlife Sanctuary) on 09-Feb-14. I have been visiting Manjira barrage for last 3 years, and though it is a crocodile sanctuary I could never spot one. On this day, a water pump operator approached me and asked whether I can see crocs moving. I squinted hard at waters but could not see any. He painstakingly helped me to locate one sunning on an islet. This was my first sighting of croc in wild and I must say I was surprised by the level of camouflage. Thereafter on I could spot more than 10 crocs leisurely swimming in the lake and witnessed one hunting a water hen.

This particular fellow was resting on a mound in the lake and after sometime slid into water without a single sound.

Saktipada Panigrahi
07-04-2014, 09:59 AM
Nice to find the Mugger in this very colourful habitat. Wish you got the light falling on its head. Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Mrudul Godbole
07-04-2014, 06:51 PM
Nice sighting of this huge mugger resting peacefully. I would have liked a some more space at the top, and slight less at the bottom. Look forward for more crocodiles from Manjira Wildlife Sanctuary. Thanks for sharing.

Roopak Gangadharan
09-04-2014, 10:48 AM
Nice sighting. Will be great if you can gives us a brief in to the manjira WLS in the wilderness areas section.
TFS
Roopak