PDA

View Full Version : cobra vs viper

Jerin Dinesh
08-05-2014, 04:18 PM
i was sitting near a rice field in my native..after few hrs i saw a snake pass near me,i thot its a rat snake,its move into the rice field..after 5 to 10 minuts i heard some sounds from that rice field..and i saw that its not a rat snake its a giant cobra coming out with a viper in her mouth...it was my first experience,really awesome....here am posting the scene from the beginning...

THE cobra moving into the rice field

Jerin Dinesh
08-05-2014, 04:35 PM
here after a fight coming out with huge viper

Jerin Dinesh
08-05-2014, 08:13 PM
i missed lot scene becoz,its was inside the rice field...so here am posting what i got...

Jerin Dinesh
08-05-2014, 08:19 PM
almost finishing meal

Jerin Dinesh
08-05-2014, 08:25 PM
i am seeing a giant cobra like this in wild at first time in life..

Jerin Dinesh
08-05-2014, 08:31 PM
after having the meal...moving away....

i need your commends and support....thanks

Debasis Bose
09-05-2014, 10:11 AM
Rare natural history unfolded in your presence and you have nicely documented the event in natural habitat. The Cobra looks huge. Thanks for sharing

Abhishek Jamalabad
09-05-2014, 11:23 AM
Nice sequence. Image #2 shows the markings of the Russel's viper. This is routine feeding behaviour for king cobras, but for a Naja sp, I'm sure this is an uncommon record.

Jerin Dinesh
09-05-2014, 01:12 PM
It was very close to me!i missed lot scene becoz it was fighting inside the rice field!!!so I couldn't see that well!!!thanks for the commend!!!

Jerin Dinesh
09-05-2014, 01:16 PM
Abhishek sir!!!thanks for your commend!!!its was only five or six feet from me,it was a giant cobra!!!

Roopak Gangadharan
10-05-2014, 10:10 PM
This is a great record jerin...as abhishek says this not common with the cobra. I have a Feeling this cobra is a resident of the hill above the temple...I have seen a huge specimen in that area many times. Well done and keep waiting and watching you will be able to witness many such fantastic natural history moments unfold in our beautiful little village which even today supports a fantastic array of wildlife.
Thanks for sharing
Roopak

Jerin Dinesh
11-05-2014, 06:00 AM
thanks Roopak ji....am seeing first time this much giant black one .....its true, we can find lot more natural things in our village...

Saktipada Panigrahi
19-05-2014, 04:52 PM
The sighting of Monocled Cobra (Naja kaouthia) in Kerala and its documentation have possibly opened up a new page in Natural History. I may not repeat what I have already written in the '....Reptiles .....' column. The snake's ID, habitat, behaviour are different from those of Common Cobra (Naja Naja). Monocled is found in the East, NE, Gangetic basin of our country but in no book I could find any mention about its presence in Kerala. That makes your finding so historic an event.

Monocled Cobra's assult on and consumption of Russell's Viper are fine achievement but would come second, in my view. Looking at this snake's liking for water, fishes and smaller snakes; most likely with faster speed it had caught the Russell's Viper by head and in the paddy-field it was no match.
Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Jerin Dinesh
20-05-2014, 06:43 PM
SaktiWildi....thanks..agree with you..me too didnt find in any book or anythng saying that presence of Monocled in Kerala..But now we can say that we can see Monocled presence in Kerala too with proof...

Roopak Gangadharan
21-05-2014, 05:02 PM
Shakti da I feel this is not a monocled cobra.

Rgds
Roopak

Abhishek Jamalabad
21-05-2014, 09:52 PM
I have the same doubt as Roopak; in image #3 (although not clearly visible) the marking appears like that of a binocellate cobra. However I don't know how to tell the Naja species apart without a clear view of the back of the hood. Whatever the species, it definitely appears to be a huge Naja ​specimen.

Jerin Dinesh
22-05-2014, 08:27 AM
Abhishek ji and Roopak ,I didn't see the scales of that giant,becoz ther was full of mud so I couldn't walk through,also the snake shows only her front side !!!is ther any other way to find other than it's mark on back side!!!if I saw her agin I'll click ther marks too then we can make sure na ,if it's is monocled or other naja species...Roopak ji and Abhishek ji,thanks for the commnt ....regd jerin

Jerin Dinesh
22-05-2014, 08:38 AM
As I talk with lot peoples all saying that we can't find the Monocled in Kerala...anyway waiting for her again to come ,,he he...thanks for all for valuable comments and tips...

Murugan Anantharaman
19-06-2014, 11:14 AM
Great record of the cobra devouring a russels viper. I feel its a spectacled cobra. Image 3 & 4 shows the left side of the spectacle and one can notice the feeble connecting white curve going towards the right. Since its not profoundly visible I guess Saktida must have felt its a monocled cobra. Nevertheless a great record and a lovely natural history moment captured. Thanks for sharing.

Jerin Dinesh
22-06-2014, 06:17 PM
Murugan Anantharaman....thanks for the commend...waiting for to see her again....