PDA

View Full Version : Female Russet Sparrow

Abhishek Jamalabad
31-05-2014, 03:15 PM
A female Russet Sparrow clicked at Shilt (Great Himalayan National Park) on a chilly morning. It was engrossed in feeding and allowed me to approach. These are common in towns and villages, but not deep in the forest where this was clicked. Wondering if this single individual managed to follow trekkers to this spot which is used for camping.

Canon 500D, Canon 100 mm Macro USM
SS 1/250
Av 4.0
ISO 400
EC -1
Clicked in low light, brightness increased in PP
Cropped by about 25%

Thanks, C&C welcome.

Bibhav Behera
31-05-2014, 05:14 PM
That's some intense stalking mate. I like the composition. Wonder if a lower angle was possible. Good job. Thanks for sharing.

Abhishek Jamalabad
31-05-2014, 05:25 PM
Bibhav: A lower angle probably was possible for this shot. I didn't go right down on my chest because every few inches of stalking was sending the bird further away (all the while pecking at the ground), so I was sort of following the bird slowly but steadily, and clicking whenever it made eye contact. I have a couple of shots from slightly lower angles, but with the bird partly hidden in the grass.
Forever grateful to you for the stalking lessons in Cotigao. :D

Sabyasachi Patra
31-05-2014, 08:09 PM
Interesting to see this bird. I guess you are right about the human induced behaviour modification. Not an easy job shooting a small bird like a sparrow with a 100mm. I agree that a lower angle would have been great.

I had the pleasure of watching Bibhav's 6 feet plus frame trying to stalk a bird in Hessarghatta few years back. :)

Abhishek Jamalabad
31-05-2014, 10:06 PM
Thanks Sabyasachi.

Correction: This was clicked at Rola in GHNP, not Shilt.

Mrudul Godbole
02-06-2014, 04:07 PM
Nice to see this species. Good eye contact. Seems it has found a good spot (camping point) for getting food and so stayed on there. Thanks for sharing.