PDA

View Full Version : Bear grylls and his series Man Vs Wild

Roopak Gangadharan
02-07-2014, 01:57 PM
I was planning to post this and understand what other feel about it for sometime but some how missed out... Most you must have watched Bear grylls and his series Man Vs wild on the Discovery. Many times I was stumped to see him kill and eat animals in the wild... many fish / reptiles and some times mammals. I guess there also a few other programme like this (there is one where a retard is joined by wife as well) ... While the status of these animals and the protection offered to them in those countries is beyond my knowledge what surprised me the most is a channel like Discovery airing a programme in which a guy put himself in a condition which most humans will never experience and then demonstrate how to kill and eat animals to survive those situations...:confused1:. It is also well known that many of these so called tough situations were actually stage managed. If at all he wants to help people who get into these unlikely situtations why not just catch the animals and leave them alone ? why kill them?..... well I guess we all know the answer but still i couldnt help asking the question. Any views??

Rgds
Roopak

Sabyasachi Patra
02-07-2014, 11:04 PM
Nothing can be more disgusting than these fictionalised programs where everything is stage managed. Unfortunately there are people who like these kinds of programs. There is a big audience for these programs.

Creating natural history programs is time consuming, needs lot of patience, and knowledge about animal behaviour. And it costs lot of money. On the other hand creating those Man Vs wild kind of programs is much much cheaper and can be done fast.

I am told that for a BBC program a well known presenter had carried a snake in his pocket to a place in rajasthan and had wanted to go through the motions of releasing it so that he can catch it for his camera crew to film it. It is a well known fact that many, if not all, are stage managed. Yes it is disgusting. Even if I were to go broke, I will never do such kind of films.

In both Discovery as well as NGC, you will find programs that talks about how dangerous an animal is. For example you will hear in how many seconds a leopard can kill a man or how the leopard will climb onto you or jump on to you to kill you etc etc. Most of these programs teach us to fear the wild animals. Will you love someone whom you fear? Will you love a demon?

As far as killing animals are concerned, I don't think these incidents would be reported to the authorities. For example killing snakes should land a person in jail. However I haven't heard anyone being arrested for killing a cobra or a python.

V S Sankar
23-08-2014, 12:33 PM
I used to watch this programme and wondered how he could get away with killing animals.Discovery is known for conservation of animals.How can they show such programmes?Its good Roopakji you finally put your thoughts into words in Indiawilds forum.I think there are many things in life like this where we feel that something is not right but continue to tolerate for fear of being ridiculed or for others taking us for "not up to date".

Also it seems there are many facets to the same stuff and people have the power to implement even if some sections dislike it.What is rational for some may not be for others.But more or less most of us have consensus on many of the things we do in day to day life.

Roopakji has rightly pointed out that such situations (faced by Bear Grylls in the series) is not going to be experienced by many people in the world.But at the end of the day I still wonder how can Discovery show such a series?

Regards

Sabyasachi Patra
26-08-2014, 03:46 PM
Recent news is that Bear Grylls has been choosen as the worldwide ambassador for Landrover. So there are enough patrons for this kind of programs.