PDA

View Full Version : Cicada

Abhishek Jamalabad
25-07-2009, 08:59 AM
Found this yesterday at Karnala, Maharashtra. Whether or not you've seen it, you've definitely heard it! The insect's green looks a bit artificial :D but it's real.
I altered flash output for the 1st time:). I would appreciate tips on that if you please.
Camera Model Name Canon PowerShot SX10 IS
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv (Shutter Speed) 1/60
Av (Aperture Value) 8.0
ISO Speed 80 (Could have increased this, forgot about it))
Focal Length 7.8 mm
Flash Exposure Compensation -2
AF Range Mode Macro
Thanks, comments and critiques welcome.

Sabyasachi Patra
25-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Abhishek,
Good to see this subject. Most of the people would have heard it but not seen it. I have often seen that they go completely silent when a tiger approaches. Ofcourse, I don't know why.

Use a tripod and experiment with the flash output. For macro subjects, you can try to diffuse your flash. You can experiment with cellophane paper and translucent cloth. There are various coloured gells available to change the color and make the flash less obvious.

Also, you can try reflecting back some of your flash light to the subject by placing a reflector. You can use a thermocol or any white sheet. That will help in reducing the shadows.

I guess you can upload some specific information about this species as well for the benefit of our members.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

AB Apana
25-07-2009, 12:29 PM
I don't think you will be able to reduce flash output to less than two stops (-2) on your camera. My MT-24EX allows a three stop reduction. However, this morning, one of my friends had covered his in camera flash with a handkerchief, and the results were very nice.

Silent Valley has no cicadas, thus the name. I also read somewhere (perhaps Kenneth Anderson) that when a tiger roars, the jungle, including the cicadas fall silent. The tigers roar makes the ground vibrate, the cicadas sense this and fall silent.

Apana

Abhishek Jamalabad
25-07-2009, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the replies, Sabyasachi and Apana.
Would like to visit Silent Valley once. Simply cant imagine a forest at night without cicadas.
Could you please let me know more, perhaps paste some links, about DIY flash diffusers and reflectors? Also, does 2nd curtain flash help during night time photography?
Maybe you should start a thread in the discussions forum about these 2 topics.

Can't give you much info about cicadas myself, but do see the link for some interesting info...It has basic ID, habits etc. and also some interesting facts, and a really good sequence of a cicada moulting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicada

AB Apana
25-07-2009, 05:57 PM
Do experiment with second curtain sinc. You can search on the net if there are any diffusers available for your camera, I'm not sure if there will be. Tissue paper also works fine.

Apana