PDA

View Full Version : Malabar Pit Viper - Green Morph

Bibhav Behera
18-08-2014, 11:00 AM
Got this guy on the second day of our trip in Guddekeri near Agumbe. We stayed at the KCRE (Kalinga Centre for Rainforest Ecology) which is run by Gowri Shankar. Kalinga in Kannada refers to the King Cobra.

We didn't sight any vipers on the first day. Had sightings of some green vine snakes. On the second day we were luckier and sighted this female Malabar Pit Viper, Green Morph. It was in a branch about 8 feet from the ground. It had its head burrowed in its body and we could not get a clear shot. On the third day, I had a hunch that it might have moved its position a little and I went to look for it again. Luckily it had its head out in the open. I got on to some even ground nearby and shot this with my 300mm lens. Light was obviously low and even with umpteen leech bites and horse fly stings, this was a well rewarded trip.

Canon EOS 7D, 420mm
SS 1/50 sec
f/5.6
ISO 1600

Full frame image. Comments and critiques welcome.

Abhirup Dutta Gupta
19-08-2014, 03:35 PM
Wonderful image.......

Saktipada Panigrahi
19-08-2014, 06:40 PM
Nice close-up. Great details of eye, pit and nostril. Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Roopak Gangadharan
20-08-2014, 03:13 PM
nice the various shades of green here and the eyes ofcourse. good details

TFS
Roopak

Abhishek Jamalabad
20-08-2014, 05:19 PM
Nice composition. The smooth OOF greens help draw attention to the snake, and simultaneously complement the colour scheme. This morph has gorgeous black markings on the head and back. Personally my favourite morph. :)

Mrudul Godbole
21-08-2014, 10:26 AM
I liked the composition. Lovely details and sharpness. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
21-08-2014, 08:58 PM
Good to see that you had visited agumbe and got this lovely species. The details on the head, especially the eye and nostrils is great. Since light was low it would have been difficult to play with higher depth of field. The image would have been even better without the out of focus vertical branch on the right in the background. Overall a nice image. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi