PDA

View Full Version : Elephant in Infrared

Sabyasachi Patra
21-08-2014, 11:22 AM
I created this image in Kabini. Elephant under powerlines shot in infrared.

Canon EOS 5D III (specially modified to shoot infrared), 24-105 f4 lens, ISO 500, f5, full frame image.

The infrared images have a pink tint. I will later post the black and white version of the image later.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

V S Sankar
21-08-2014, 12:20 PM
Nice one Sabyaji.

Similar sort of situattion exists in Gavi forests as well.Big power lines cris crossing the other wise beautiful thick greenish jungle.

Regards

Abhishek Jamalabad
21-08-2014, 12:43 PM
Beautifully composed. I like the way the foreground shrubs lead into the image. Would love to hear about the situation and circumstances in which this was shot, and the time.

Roopak Gangadharan
21-08-2014, 01:11 PM
Nice one sir. like the concept and compo.the BW version will be intresting as well.

It is an irony of sorts that some good animal sightings happen in these clearings for power lines and even along highways which cut through the forests, although these are a major hazard for the animals. May be due to better visibility along the clearings and the also availability of fresh grass.

TFS
Roopak

Sabyasachi Patra
21-08-2014, 03:16 PM
Same image just processed to remove the purple/magenta hue and this is how it appears. One can create different tints like old sepia photos etc.

This was shot in the afternoon safari.

The exposure is a bit different as I am shooting in available light as well as the infrared light which we don't see.

I had got the 5D III converted to help me in filming in the night in darkness along with infrared LED lights. I was just trying to create a few different still shots to try and represent the subject in a different manner.

I believe all the power lines should be underground. That would not require extensive forest clearing, loss of power, loss of life due to electrocution etc.

Mrudul Godbole
24-08-2014, 12:15 PM
The infrared composition looks nice. It gives a different feel to the image. The elephant is quite prominent against the vegetation. Nicely captured. Thanks for sharing.

Roopak Gangadharan
24-08-2014, 02:05 PM
I like the BW version.....like an ominous threat looming large. The expanse of of exotic weed (I presume its parthenium ) the sweeping power line, even the cloud almost waiting to swallow the elephant....
TFS
Roopak

Saktipada Panigrahi
27-08-2014, 06:03 PM
I like the BW version. Because the hanging clouds which give us (including the elephant) the comfort of continued existence, look very natural. Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild